• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you guys charge your batteries?

PowerstrokeNC

If I want to use a battery tender type of charger....isn't there a trick to how you can hook 2 x 12v chargers up to make them work with a 24v setup? Such as hooking each one to its own battery directly, Or am I dreaming?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just use two 12v chargers and hook one to each battery. It's better to charge them both seperatey anyway.

greg burns

Battery Tender

Battery Tender makes a model with dual 12 volt banks. When I stored my Deuce last winter, I disconnected the dog bone between batteries and the positive and negative cables. The tender seemed to maintain a full charge all winter.

greg

shenkmen

ProMariner 10 - amp ProMite Battery Charger

ProMariner ProMite Battery Charger. Fully automatic multi - stage charging. Charges and conditions batteries with a built-in safe maintenance mode for long and short term storage: Safe for lead, GEL and AGM batteries; Waterproof and shock resistant... saltwater tested for coastal boating; 100% epoxy filled, molded housing; Built-in protection, reverse polarity, ignition and temperature protection; LED power and charge indicators; Quick power and charging status; Pre-wired for easy install; 10-amp (12 / 24V, 2-bank, 9 x 5 1/4 x 3 1/2") 13-amp (12 / 24V / 24+ENG, 3-bank, 9 x 5 1/4 x 3 1/2");

Attachments

Rustygears

Like folks said, you really need to charge/maintain each separately for best results. Use two inexpensive 12V units instead of a fancy and expensive dual unit. Contrary to other advice, you cannot equalize two separate batteries connected in series with a single 24V charger. You will be able to charge the combination, just like the truck alternator does, but the weaker battery will dominate the charge condition of the combination. Also, if you use two independent 12V chargers/tenders, there is no reason to remove the dog bone cable that connects them. You might want to remove it for security or accidental discharge reasons, but there is no battery maintenance-related reason. Please be sure to keep the cells properly filled with DI or distilled water, not tap water. That is essential to proper and long-life operation.

NickAir

Is there any problems with charging one battery with a 12 volt charger while in place with truck cables are hooks up?

Rustygears

No issue as long as the motor isn't running. If you turn on any load when doing that, like trying to start the engine, you may damage the charger if the internal resistance of he charger is less than the battery it is connected across.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I have a 24 volt battery tender that works great. Last winter when I didn't use it the batteries would go dead in a couple days. I'd plug the tender in and in a few hours the truck would start like it had new batteries in it. What's nice is how it will not over charge and cause the batteries to boil over like a normal charger will. Just my 2cents take it for what it's worth.

NickAir

Is there any draw/load on a deuce or 5 ton when shut off. Just wondering what draws the batteries down over time.

Appreciated the understanding of the load issue while charging.

Rustygears

All batteries self discharge over time, even with no cables connected and no load applied. Lead-acid discharge faster than other types, but can take a beating that will kill other battery types. With the master switch off, there is no load applied to the battery in a stock configuration. The mil radio rig bypasses the master switch because I is attached directly to the battery and even in the 'off' position, has some minute leakage currents, so if it is attached, the truck battery will discharge a little faster.

NickAir

Good info RustyGears.

Anyone thought of a, disconnect switch at the battery box. Any advantage, other than doing electrical work? I was thinking security and prevent discharge. I am learning.

Rustygears

Lots of folks do that for the reasons you indicate. Search the threads on this site and you'll see lots of posts on the topic of disconnect switches, where to hide, etc.

Katahdin

Less than two months ago I had a starting solenoid stick together while turning the engine over for a pre-flight hydrostatic lock test. That was not a fun feeling....I had to jump out of the cab and yank the dogbone cable between the batteries to get the starter to shut down. After that incident I put in a battery disconnect switch and feel relieved its now there.

I use 12 volt chargers and the cheap tenders, but you may want to put the tenders in the cab. One of mine got water logged from either the rain or snow this spring, glad it was cheap!

NickAir

Ok, for reasons of:
security, battery drain, and solenoid sticking, is all good enough reason for me to intall a battery disconnect switch. Good answers guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks