• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you inflate run-flat tires

Nonotagain

Depends on how long they have been flat.

If a short period of time, remove valve core, inflate with 3/8" or larger air line.

If they have been flat for weeks, jack the vehicle up and perform the same operation.

The key is air volume.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If the bead is broken you can use ether (not for the faint of heart) to reseat it followed by high pressure air into the valve stem.

I have done it with the tire still on the vehicle but it may work better if the tire is laying flat on the ground so you can get a line of ether to the bead without burning the tire.

It is an aquired skill.....don't try it unless you know what you are doing.......not responsible for exploded tires (too much ether) or singed hair (to close to the action).

chevyCUCV

Put a tie down around the tire and crank it down till the bead is close. Then put air in, Just enough to hold the bead.
Remove strap before the tire starts expanding.

BlondeGuy

I've tried the tie down strap and got one tire done, have one more to go.

I'm going to try the high volume next then ether as the last resort.

I've successfully done the ether trick on golf carts and go-carts, but that was after a few painful failed attempts.

jwaller

large truck shops also have a large air can to blast air into them and inflate them in a 1 step shot.

nozzle fits between the bead and the rim to shoot a large volume of air into the tire and it jumps onto the rim. similar to the starter fluid technique but without the fireworks.

rickf

I have to disagree with the ether trick. I used to do it a lot when I had a 4x4 shop in the 70's, until I went on a squad call where a tire blew up. I can tell you it was not pretty, the guy was just about cut in half! I did some research on it and found out it is VERY dangerous. All it takes is one tiny loose piece of rubber, lint, whatever to get partially burned when the ether lights off and then the tire seals and the rest of the oxygen is gone. The hot spot is still there along with any left over ether at a temp plenty high enough for an explosion. All it needs is oxygen. Now when you do this trick most people will leave the valve stem out because as soon as the tire seals there is a vacuum created in the tire due to aforementioned lack of oxygen. If the valve stem is in the tire will usually pull back off of the rim. If the valve stem is out then air can get in to relieve the vacuum. What does air have in it? oxygen. Remember that little hot spot and left over ether? KABOOM! Now I know everybody is going to say well use less ether. How much is enough? how much is too much? I sure as **** will not do it anymore I can tell you that.

Rick

rickf

Running around on fire with flaming hornets attacking you, day can't get much worse than that.
I have personally seen three deaths associated with tires. The one mentioned in this thread and two at a small tire shop in my town. I was on the emergency squad so I got to see every accident in town just about. Nobody really knows what happened at the tire shop other than a split rim came apart. It looked like the father was leaning over it when it came apart and disemboweled him then it hit hit the son in the head about ten feet away and then went through the windshield of a car on the street. No one in the car was hurt but I don't know how, it went completely through the windshield and was sitting in the middle of the seat. There were two people in the car!:shock: They were the ones to call the police. There were no cell phones back then so they used the shops phone. They were in total shock, and were the only ones to go to the hospital. There was no ether can around but the air chuck was ripped off of the hose so we figured he was inflating it and the ring was not properly seated. No one will ever know for sure. Most people do not understand the explosive force behind compressed air. Be careful around those big tires guys.

Rick