• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you know when to change fuel filter?

rjinga

Can you tell I'm a non-mechanical newbie? I've read a lot about the importance of changing the fuel filter (especially if burning biodiesel), but how do you know when to do it unless/until the vehicle has trouble starting or running?

I've only had it since January of this year, and the previous owner installed a spin-off filter housing. I can't remember how "old" he said this filter was. Once I change it (looking for threads on how to do that properly too), do I just keep track of the mileage, like an oil change?

xenocath

searching.............
nothing set in stone. usually annually, every 50000 miles or when you have issues is what a web search turned up. i put a spin on racor filter on my truck last year sometime and i am running wmo have not had any issues as of yet i am not gonna change mine till something messes up to indicate a need. *i do however carry a spare element in the truck.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock filter setup has a pressure sensor in it. The STE/ICE diagnostic unit could read the amount of pressure and you would use that number to tell when to change the filter. among other things.

Without the STE/ICE unit it is just a guess on when to change it.

I would say at least every year.

Last edited:

diesel583

I change mine every 2nd oil change. Twice a year. My company truck, 50000 mi a year gets one every oil change. Aout 10 times a year. Cheap insurance against break downs and IP rebuilds are not cherap.

top_prop

I change the secondary (spin on) in my mercedes atleast once a year... it also has a primary see through that gets changed when it starts to clog... If the primary starts to clog repeatedly quickly (like more often than every oil chainge) I'll change the primary spin on as well... and its paid off as the last time it was gunked up as well.

I wasn't running bio or WMO or anything... i just got some biologic growth in the tank and some bad fuel... it happens.

I modified my M1009 with a see through before an electric fuel pump, I'll do the same there and change it when it gunks up, and atleast check it at every oil change.

Its always better to swap them than have the truck die on you unexpectedly. I alwaya carry spares in the truck so I can swap if I need to on the fly.

Thats why I did the electric fuel pump mod... now if I swap filters I just turn the key to run and open the bleed valve... instant primed system. I hope I never have to use it in the sticks, but I've found filters tend to clog at the most in opportune times.

If you want to learn how to do these things inyour truck, take the time to down load the TM's... first read the procedure in the -20, then read it in the -34 if its there...

The TM's should be your first stop, then searching here, then searching again here, then searching again for something just a little different, then making a post with a question.

Hope it helps (one newbie to another).

Tom

Iceman3005

Why wait till the truck won't start because of a clogged fuel filter, best to do preventive maintenance and change it regularly.

CROM

@Zenocath:

Did you make that grill cover on your truck? Looks way nicer than the piece of cardboard I've been using in the winter ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks