• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you load trailers on to a car trailer without GL help?

captain

I'm looking at picking up a couple trailers at the GL. Some cargo some with 10kw gens. Details say that there is no forklift available. I have a 24' car trailer with ramps that should be plenty wide for any trailers I get. I also have a large assortment of chain hoists, chains, and straps to assist with dragging the trailers on board. My question though is how do you do it if the landing leg is just a skid and not wheeled?

Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fold the leg up.

Or, use the tow vehicle to move the trailers onto the hauling trailer.

captain

I'm guessing I can pick up the tongue of a m101 but I think a m116a3 with a mep803a would be a bit heavy for me to pick up fold the leg and lower. I understand no matter how I load them that the tongue should be on the deck for transport and not on the landing leg.

captain

Thank you doghead and jakelc15. I can do that. My question now though is how do you drop the tongue to the deck? Do you bring a floor jack? Or do you think its safe to transport the trailers tied down with the landing leg down?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thank you doghead and jakelc15. I can do that. My question now though is how do you drop the tongue to the deck? Do you bring a floor jack? Or do you think its safe to transport the trailers tied down with the landing leg down?
I use a hi-lift jack for that kind of stuff.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a winch that hooks to front of my trailer, facing to the rear.

Been used for 3 CUCVs and one M101A2 (until forklift showed up I didn't know existed to load trailer onto trailer).

Works like a champ.

Leave tongue support folded and simply pull trailer/Generator up on trailer.
Use whatever you need to keep the tongue from impacting the back of your trailer.

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have brought 8 of my m105 and 3 of the M101 trailers home on a flatbed trailer with the landing legs down. It isn't a detriment at all.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an 803a with a deck over. The gp employee used a m998 and backed it up my ramps and onto the trailer. Or I would have had to do the same with my own truck after disconnecting from the trailer

captain

Thank you all. All those thoughts along with the hi-lift jack idea if I want to lower the tongue are great. I forgot I even had a hi-lift.

Tinstar. When you winch the trailer back words on board does the tongue float while under tension up the ramps?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all. All those thoughts along with the hi-lift jack idea if I want to lower the tongue are great. I forgot I even had a hi-lift.

Tinstar. When you winch the trailer back words on board does the tongue float while under tension up the ramps?

I attach the winch to the front of trailer and trucks.
Either to the tongue or tie down shackles depending on how it's pulling.
I like mine to face forward. Just my personal preference.

Backwards should work just as well and if you have a helper they can just man handle the tongue with their body weight.
Should work if your by yourself. Just go even slower. The trailer will kinda tell you what it likes.
The ones with frozen rusted drums that drag or are completely locked up will cause headaches.

The M101/1101 series are easy to handle
The m105's will be a different story.

Jakelc15

A skate helps to get stubborn vehicles to move easily. You could make your own and save some $. They're just hard plastic. Even a 2x6 under the tongue helps when winching
tnt_WD003.jpg

86m1028

You don't need skates if the tires roll.
I have hauled 5 m101's with an 18ft trailer
(4 on deck, 5th pulled behind).
I have hauled 3 m105's on same 18ft trailer.

The 101's we loaded by hand (2 of us).
The 105's were loaded with a skytrack.
Ive loaded them both ways (forwards or backwards).
Whatever your more comfortable with & ease of unloading.
I chain each trailer with 2 chains.

captain

I think my deck on my trailer is 24'. I want to try to get the tongues forward to keep the weight to the rear. My hitch is only 17000 pounds weight carrying so 1700 pound tongue weight. I'm glad to hear you guys are able to get a few of them on the deck.

NEIOWA

As I recall from the old Trans Ref data book the DOD method established loading trailers on railcar was with jack folded/pintle on deck and trailers as tight together (1 tongue under the next trailer) as possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks