• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you paint your Deuce?

eeyore357

Just wondering how different people have painted their m35a2. I have a friend of a friend that has a semitruck paint booth and was thinking about getting a quote from him. I have also thought about getting some sandpaper and spray paint. Just looking for tips, tricks, suggestions, and pics. I couldn't find anything specific from searching.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy who is no longer on here anymore said pressure wash it and use rattle cans. I left all the runs on it from the military and my truck looks as good as it did when it was still being used by them.

Pressure wash
Knock big chips off
Prime with Rustoleum red
Takes twenty cans of Rapco 383 green to do it.

It is not a frame off resto truck but it is the one I show all the time.

ntxcop

Also,

Like swbradley1 said, I sanded and ground off the large burrs, and paint runs left from the military's less than stellar paint job, primed, and then painted.

There are a TON of threads about painting military vehicles on this site. Some people choose to spray on the paint, some roll it on, and some use rattle cans. It's really up to you, and what you think are the limits of your ability, and what tools / equipment you have at your disposal. For me, I don't own a spray rig, and have painted with rollers many times in my life, so it was easy to go with what I knew.

And one final thing, there are several different types of paint to choose from. RAPCO, Behr, PPG, and on and on and they vary in price too. For me it was easiest and CHEAPEST to go to the HomeDepot.

Search this site and read some of the awesome threads about paint and go for it! As long as you paint it GREEN or DESERT TAN it's hard to mess it up! The only thing we ask is that you POST PICS when you're finished! :-D

Good Luck!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really can't screw up a MV paint job , a lot of times it was just a pressure wash , knock off the big chunks and then painted by a 19 year old who didn't have a clue and they usually came out pretty good . Unless you want a "PERFECT" MV , follow the others advice and give it a try . In my case RAPCO paint and a HF spray gun worked out just fine .

Vondy

I'm going to give it a go with pressure wash, sandblast rough areas and fix. Prime and paint with rapco spray cans. I'll post pics when done, hopefully within 2 months.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just crashed mine into some rocks and it make me do a frame off restoration. Don’t worry about knocking the chips off, the rocks will do that in just under the time it takes to sneeze. Before and after pics, I think I did ok with it. Oh, another thing… if you start getting into fine details painting it, one thing can lead to another. It’s the whole, “since I have this off, I might as well go a little farther and fix that…”

Edit: I forgot to say, shale is what I used to chip away old paint.

2012-07-13_07-24-05_914.jpg2012-07-13_07-55-06_387.jpgIMG952363.jpgIMG950820.jpg

Last edited:

RAYZER

When I started my deuce tractor project, the truck was a mess cosmetically! I believe this truck was over seas and must have gotten too close to some oil well fires, or a platoon of soldiers jumped up and down and kicked it with their boots on!
There was to say the least a lot of warped and dented sheet metal! When the truck was painted tan, from green, it obviously wasn't cleaned properly, especially underneath, where there was about 10 mills thick of paint peeling off everywhere! I spent countless hours addressing this, they even painted the steering wheel! So after scraping, chipping, sanding and several pressure washes and primer later, I painted with galespi thinned with laquor thinner, everything turned out beautiful!
But note,I started out spraying the cab interior with behr exterior, it turned out ok but,I found it hard to deal with due to the time of year and cure time, so I jumped ship and used something faster.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I used a roller to apply the sand on, but used the HF cheapo gun to spray the brown. Paint is exterior flat color place from wally world $21.90 a Gallon and they had the FS numbers in their computer.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks