• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you preserve your M101/103/105 covers?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3D did you get your order of product in yet to test??? Inquiring minds want to know. If you don't have time to test you can drop ship the 303 to my house and I will test for you :)

3dAngus

Dang if I didn't just get finished writing about it. I did receive it, and only used it on my LL Bean rubbers.
I was crawling under the crawl space in my house a couple days ago, working in the sewer line, and got kinda nasty, but saved about $1500. Unfortunately my LL Bean shoes got kinda nasty, if you know what I mean. I cleaned with purple power, let dry, wiped on the 303 the next day as they were really dull looking, and now with the wipe off, they look like new again.

Tomorrow I am coating threads of a M101 cover I'm selling after it dries to protect from UV.
Later, I will get back on the cover of the M105 I was working on. After cleaning that cover with Purple Power soap, it looked pretty good, but looked like new on the outside, so I put in on outside in, and it is brand new looking. I will give it a good spray in a couple of days on the inside where it is crusty a tad bit and see how it goes. Thanks for asking. I can tell already, it is much better and "cleaner" then armour all. Great tip!

3dAngus

Turns out, my 101 cover threads are covered with the vinyl. Most of my 105 covers were exposed.
Svanhorn, this 303 is for the vinyl covered tarps and canvas. If your canvas is not coated with vinyl, they make another 303 fabric spray on.
I got a good price at $52 shipped, but you did even better. To freezing cold to work with sprays and hoses today. It should warm up some tomorrow.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I looked up the 303 fabric instructions because I have as much canvas as vinyl. Canvas seems to be a supported application though they don't mention it. The part that gave me pause on mil canvas was, "...Use only on thoroughly clean textiles, free of soiling and cleaning agent residue. For best cleaning results use 303[SUP]®[/SUP] Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner or 303[SUP]®[/SUP] Fabric/Vinyl convertible top cleaner. always test for colorfastness. Spray a hidden area with 303[SUP]®[/SUP] HTFG.Spray a hidden area with 303[SUP]®[/SUP] HTFG. Wipe sprayed area with a white absorbent cloth. If any color rubs off, DO NOT USE..."

I personally wouldn't clean canvas as aggressively as I would vinyl. Testing it piece by piece 'til you get some experience with it seems real smart.

Steve

3dAngus

I personally wouldn't clean canvas as aggressively as I would vinyl. Testing it piece by piece 'til you get some experience with it seems real smart.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Same goes for leather, like on leather seats. You might end up with two different color faded seats, which could be quite expensive.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3dAngus,

How did your testing and work with the 303 go?

I'm considering just taking my 105 cover off and storing it, but the sides are fiberglass and I figure Fiberglass is just as susceptible to UV as the vinyl cover, but a lot harder to ship/replace.

Any further update would be appreciated!

/cheers :D

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to Hi-Jack the thread: But what is Purple Powder? I just got my M101A2 with a OD cover, that was all folded up.

It is a tire and vinyl conditioner found in most retail outlets and at some parts stores. (They make various purple power products for different purposes. There are dirt and greaser removers as well)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks