• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you put a radio in?

landry1

I want to put a radio in. Since there is no antenna in windshield what antenna setup should i use?? I am just confused where to start......

Wrench Wench

Might also wanna look into a 24V to 12V DC-DC converter, unless car stereo heads that can suckle off 24 VDC power are somehow common now.

You won't need a DC-DC converter; just tap the 12V half of the system. Only the starter and GPs run off 24V, and those are isolated via relays. Depending on how much ooomph you want out of your stereo, you may need to look at an upgraded alternator.

And I hate to be the one to say it, but... tried searching the forum?

mezc

I got a cheap ruber antena and zip tie it under the dash, the reception is great in my city and around, so in my case no need to hole it and push it out

hobie237

Easiest way is to hook to a 12v source (there are plenty of them) and install civilian components from a junkyard truck where necessary. Happens to be the cheapest way, too. Or wire in an inverter and use a home stereo for real oomph.

ida34

You won't need a DC-DC converter; just tap the 12V half of the system. Only the starter and GPs run off 24V, and those are isolated via relays. Depending on how much ooomph you want out of your stereo, you may need to look at an upgraded alternator.

And I hate to be the one to say it, but... tried searching the forum?
Be careful. There is a 24 volt tap in the fuse panel. Some have connected to it and fried what they were attempting to run. Some released the magic smoke from the radio components. Before you connect the wire to the fuse panel check the voltage to make sure.

Buckmaw

Got a civvy console off of craigslist and just mounted all my gear to it. No holes cut in the truck. For a antenna, I used a BNC to FM adapter and hook it up to the long ass green .mil antenna that was on the truck.

Attachments

hobie237

so when putting the radio in i dont need to worry about and 24v stuff?

Only need to worry about it if you do something stupid like wire the radio to a 24v source. Plenty of 12v under the hood, as suggested above, a meter will tell you pretty quick what is what.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks