• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you start your truck in cold weather

BIG_RED

Just so you know - if you go the new fuel lines route, you have to pull off the whole intake to run one to the IP. The fuel pump pushrod takes forever to line up to get the new pump in (took me 4 tries). Outside at -30*C = not fun. To put in a passenger side block heater, use the middle hole and remove the starter support bracket. Make sure the power plug on the heater clears the bracket - you may have to grind it down 1/8". I read somewhere that Wellman 070 GP's are what the military is using right now, so I used them cause i figured they must be good. I don't know if they are, all I know is mine work :). Good luck!

sawgunner1

Started right up between 5 ans 15 out side not plugged in. I put a GM block heater in when I replaced the rad and it does fire up easier and warm up faster with it.

SmokeyDod

How do you get the 24V glow plugs to work when only 12v is feeding to them? I have some of the humvee 24v gp and while holding by hand hook them to a 12v battery and they of course take forever to start to heat up and looks like if all 8 gps were trying to work at same time, it would drain battery quickly. ??

acmunro

Just so you know - if you go the new fuel lines route, you have to pull off the whole intake to run one to the IP.
I didn't know that. I just used a 1/4" socket/ratchet and reached in behind the intake (up under the intake) to remove the fuel inlet hose on the IP. Easier than pulling the intake.

kenny

How do you get the 24V glow plugs to work when only 12v is feeding to them? I have some of the humvee 24v gp and while holding by hand hook them to a 12v battery and they of course take forever to start to heat up and looks like if all 8 gps were trying to work at same time, it would drain battery quickly. ??
I beleave the only thing on the truck that is 24volt is the starter and the rest goes threw that big black thing on the fire wall above the vacume pump to make the rest 12 volt.
I think the hummer has 24 volt glow plugs but not the cucv trucks and blazers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks