• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Do You Tell a M1101 from a 1102?

OldTow

Howdy All, I am new to this board, new to military trailers, and just an all around newbie! I just recently bought a military trailer, and I was wondering how I tell if it is an 1102, 1101, or whatever it is? I will post a picture of it just as soon as I learn how to do that....OK? Any and all help or advice greatly appreciated....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should have a data tag on it that designates it as one or the other.

Ratch

The difference was intended to restrict load capacity by tow vehicle. Both can handle the same load, but hitched to a hmmwv with a certain pintle, it should not be loaded over a certain weight. So instead of a plate that says "with this pintle, load up to 2000lbs; with this pintle, load up to 3000lbs", they just designated two weight cap models, and restricted which vehicles could tow which models.

KansasBobcat

The difference was intended to restrict load capacity by tow vehicle. Both can handle the same load, but hitched to a hmmwv with a certain pintle, it should not be loaded over a certain weight. So instead of a plate that says "with this pintle, load up to 2000lbs; with this pintle, load up to 3000lbs", they just designated two weight cap models, and restricted which vehicles could tow which models.
I agree. It is the tow vehicle that is the issue. Probably not much of an issue except in registering. In Texas trailers over 4000 lbs gross are titled and those with lower gross don't require a title which saves a few dollars. I prefer to title mine whether M110 1or M1102. It is fun explaining to the DVM people that the trailers are really the same and the data plate is the only difference!