• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you test the starter solenoid?

edpdx

CROM, if you are getting the click instead of the lovely whir of the starter, you might check the wire from the back of the fuse box (engine bay side) that goes to the Starter Solenoid. It is purple. Give it a tug on the passenger side of the intake where it leaves the loom to go downward to the starter. You'll see it move at the fuse box. Mine gave me headaches for weeks, and I found that it was the problem. You should check the condition of this wire and the condition of the engine Ground strap to the chassis above the rear passenger corner of the intake manifold.

I also suspect we may all benefit from a fuse box overhaul. I opened mine and all the tabs were gunked-up. You might check the condition of the purple wire therein.

Good luck- leave a post when you resolve the problem please.

CROM

Thanks, Edpdx. I'll shoot some wires this weekend and let you know what I find. You're right, a fuse box overhaul would be nice. I'm going to look into that.

lindyp38

lindyp38, i had a direct drive- could have been the wrong one. It petered out and i replaced it with a chi-nee model from ebay. It lasted 7 months. A recent thread of my detailed this matter. I will say that in the few days since i have had my new gear reduction starter in, i have been feeling very confident. So much so that i bit the bullet and replaced my passenger side alt with a wilson as well. My voltage meter is back where it should be- it never had been since i owned it. The ebay starter is being sent back under a 1 year warranty. I'll put it on a shelf for a spare... Or now that i am thinking about it, just eat the warranty- i'd have to pay $20-30 just to ship it back. May as well take it to have it rebuilt by a local re-builder and put it on the shelf. Hmmmmm... Get the mt28 gear reduction starter... And a bracket. My chevy dealer had one in the warehouse for $16.

See my starter thread from last week for a wiring mod you might like on your starter- makes it easier to put back in this time and easier to r&r henceforth.

And where did you find that avatar? My wife's sister lives in eagle point, or- those guys cannot spell either.
the avatar came from my neighbor who was in korea......and took many pics with his camera.........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks