• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you Wrecker owners insure your truck?

houdel

With my new M125 wrecker soon to be here, I've already started looking for insurance for it. As a little background, when I insured my Deuce my regular insurance company, Auto Owners, did not offer HMV insurance and wanted to sell me a commercial policy at some $800/year. My local State Farm Agent wrote me a HMV policy for a whopping $150.56/year which included $100,000/$300,000 PL and $100,000 PD, plus collision and comprehensive coverage with a declared value of $6000 for the truck. The policy is written for "Limited use antique/classic". (I know a quite a few of you have HMV insurance for considerably less, but Michigan has some wacky assessments which drive the price up quite a bit).

So I went back to State farm and asked what can you do for my M125 wrecker, with very limited use of the wrecker attachment, as at MV events where another vehicle breaks down and needs a tow.

After some investigation, he said they can write me the same HMV policy with a declared value for the truck of $25,000 for just under $300 per year, but they will not provide wrecker operation coverage. He said I could use the wrecker on my own property for moving my own stuff around, but if I were out in the public using the wrecker and something happened, my tail would be left hanging in the wind.

I asked about limited use wrecker coverage but they don't offer such an animal, only full wrecker coverage at about $1000/month!

Obviously I don't want to spend that kind of money unless I were in the towing business making money at it. Is anyone aware of a "Limited Use/Good Samaritan" wrecker coverage at a more reasonable rate? Especially such a policy which would be valid in Michigan?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd not be too worried about it. If you were going to tow something, most of the time it would be on a towbar and that wasn't excluded. Other than that, Gulfway!

joec

I asked about limited use wrecker coverage but they don't offer such an animal, only full wrecker coverage at about $1000/month

Thats about right for Comm coverage..!

houdel

Re: RE: How do you Wrecker owners insure your truck?

Recovry4x4 said:
I'd not be too worried about it. If you were going to tow something, most of the time it would be on a towbar and that wasn't excluded. Other than that, Gulfway!
I'll ask him about that. As he put it, the concern was not lifting or winching something, the real concern was that if anything attached to but not a part of my truck in any way broke loose and caused damage, my liability insurance would not cover it. I can only guess the lack of liability coverage would extend to a breakaway of a vehicle on a towbar to even a broken winch cable causing damage while pulling out another MV stuck someplace.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: How do you Wrecker owners insure your truck?

i have haggurty for the 819 $108 per year

houdel

But the big question is, do Gulfway and Haggarty include WRECKER OPERATION liability coverage, not just VEHICLE OPERATION liability coverage? Ask your agent, I would suspect your liability coverage does not include use of either the wrecker boom or your winches! Certainly not for $100-$200 a tear for insurance.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Not to hijack Houdel's excellent post (his question is one i have wanted an answer to as well) but this is something the MVPA should be helping us with. They have enough members (= clout) to contact an insurance company and get some kind of insurance that would be applicable in this case.

Macanie

I have a couple of antique wreckers (49 Studebaker and 55 Dodge ) and have the same trouble. My insurance won't cover anything behind them unless it is on a trailer.

papercu

insurance

No matter what the insurance rep claim to cover, you will have to convince the insurance adjuster you are not commercial if/when that time comes.
Wayne

ida34

RE: insurance

One big problem is if you are using it as a wrecker than most people would not consider it a show or parade vehicle. Recovery and towing of vehicles is infinitely more hazardous and is much more likely to result in bent metal. If they knew we owned tow bars they would probably raise our insurance too. I bet if we had an accident towing with a tow bar they would not cover that either.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't really thought about this before, but it's a good point. If I want to flat tow with the M35, OR the M108, I want to be covered. Now how would they insure a crane truck?

Dennis

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a funny feeling that most MV'ers who have wreckers, semis, and cranes only have "drive it down the street" insurance, and not insurance for the wrecker"stuff", 5th wheel and crane boom...
I never saw a "I only use it occasionally and not for commercial purposes" clause in any insurance paperwork...

All you guys may want to check...

No.2Diesel

"Don't worry I'm a million feet from those power lines...." "BZZZZZZZT!!!! :drool: " (Picture cartoon character with Xs in place of eyes) :wink:

"That wire rope is in fine cond...SNAP!! BOING!!!" (then whistling sfx) "SPLAT!!" (Picture cartoon character under a large weight) :p

joec

Re: RE: Re: RE: How do you Wrecker owners insure your truck?

clinto said:
Not to hijack Houdel's excellent post (his question is one i have wanted an answer to as well) but this is something the MVPA should be helping us with. They have enough members (= clout) to contact an insurance company and get some kind of insurance that would be applicable in this case.
Done clinto i will send this to Tom Wolboldt. To see if he will bring this up at the next meeting.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for the masses..

Do commerical wrecker guys get certified to be "wrecker certified"? Or do you just open a business, buy some wreckers, and start towing?

I can see some insurance company asking a MV wrecker owner "how do we know that you know what your doing?, and you should have lesser rates that some moron that knows nothing about a wrecker?"

joec

emmado22 said:
Question for the masses..

Do commerical wrecker guys get certified to be "wrecker certified"? Or do you just open a business, buy some wreckers, and start towing?

I can see some insurance company asking a MV wrecker owner "how do we know that you know what your doing?, and you should have lesser rates that some moron that knows nothing about a wrecker?"
Well they ask you how long your experience is that is based on how much your insurance will be. It's alot nicer towing heavs with the under reach setups now. You can be certified you take a course Wreckmaster has different ones. I use to have the cert for heavy towing and recovery. I use to help alot with cranes. Since that is what i use to do. Now i am at a school . I miss the money but my youngest 2 kids are legally blind and medical conditions. So i had to change jobs to be able to help take care of them. Enough about me..lol...

To open a heavy Tow operation. Is abig nut just in equipment buying used..!!!

That you are taking a chance with. Just because he has a 25TON NRC BODY. wICH IS A NEWER VERSION OF OURS ON A CIVILLIAN TRUCK.!! Doesn't means he knows what he is doing. I'm bye no means an expert. But i have done alot of wrecks...ALOT!!!

YOU LEARN EVERYTIME YOU GO OUT..!

I've seen alot guys screw equipment up. 500k trucks or more. Because of inexperience.
I have personally had a guy i was working with get killed bye a cable breaking. Because he wouldn't listen and stay away. 2 D8 Cats one stuck and me pulling the other out. If you have ever saw a 1 1/2" cable go to a 1/2 you know what i mean. That is another story.

But if tyou charge a reasonable rate. For recovery. Some guys charge 400 just to start the truck and 150-250 an hour..!!!

emr

Re: RE: insurance

ida34 said:
One big problem is if you are using it as a wrecker than most people would not consider it a show or parade vehicle. Recovery and towing of vehicles is infinitely more hazardous and is much more likely to result in bent metal. If they knew we owned tow bars they would probably raise our insurance too. I bet if we had an accident towing with a tow bar they would not cover that either.
The car that slammed into my deuce while towbarring another deuce, simply put was not an issue, unless there is a safety infraction that caused the accident from the tow bars use, it will be a non issue and not even brought up even in the gestapo state of NJ. It is legal to do if /as long as U are doing it legal.as for the comments of the above post about if something being towed Brakes away, means alot, If U have anything attached to Your vehicle your insurance has to cover it, Your vehicle was insured for the type of vehicle it is, U will be insured, but of course U will probably be droped like a hot potato right after...Towing Your own stuff is arguably what the use simply is ,and U did not do anything that was not intended for that vehicle to do, accepting a payment is a big bag of worms. the truck being towed saying hey U wrecked my truck u said u could do it, the insurance will say we are not covering that truck when he complains, there are fine but usable lines here.Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks