• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does a Ring Mount work?

zhongguoren

Hello. I'm very interested in US armoured/gun trucks in this Iraq war. It seems that many vehicles such as Humvees and FMTVs and M939s have ring mounts on their tops. From the videos I see this thing is easy to traverse, but I have no idea about how does this mechanical device work.

The questions are as follows:

1, how does a gunner operate a weapon such as M2 fixed on the ring mount? I think it should be operate by hand, but there is any shift or some thing for rotating the ring?

2, The ring mount on the top of a truck's cab,sometimes I see something like a seat on the ring, whether this kind of ring mount has a flatform like the turret basket in the tank to traverse with the ring mount?

3, What's the difference between M-36 and M-66 ring mount? I remember that the M-36 was mounted on the M-3 half tracks.

Anyone could help me? For I have no chance to see a real one, anyone could send me some detailed pictures about them? Thank you very much!

Hmmm comes to my mind that they make a good beer in Qingdao. Tastes very good with hot, spicy asian food. It's said the brewery is of old colonial german origin. I'm sure they wouldn't give us the recipe of it, being afraid someone could copy or clone the brand.

Csm Davis

:funny: Opsec? On a ring mount? Really? I know we need to watch what we put out there I have even scolded some before. If the bad guys want to make one a high school dropout could draw it up. And if they want to come up with a way to disable them good luck with that not going to happen. [thumbzup] but glad to see you guys care, better safe than sorry

KsM715

The whole point of this what this thread was, is that "someone" from a Communist country ask how one of our peices of equipment works. Most of us here are old enough to remember when "They" were the enemy. I dont care if he is asking how to put air in a tire, I'm not going to help him.

:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks