• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does dual switch brake pedal work ?

HUMMER H1

hey guys I am wiring my humvee brake lights,
I see there are 3 plugs
One is male with two prongs and two female plugs.

can you explain how this switch works ?
my humvee is 12v electrical , I need a signal to the brake lights when pedal is pressed.

thank you4C23222E-F8DD-418D-9912-F5EADDF4EB0C.jpeg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric. This switch should not be voltage sensitive. The bulbs need to be swapped out, not the switch IMHO.

Just look at the switch in my M1165 and your M1152.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the two individual wires connect ether way to the brake light circuit, the plug with two wires is for the 4L80 controller
The brake light wires close (short) when the brake pedal is depressed the 4L80 switch open when the brake pedal is depressed.
The brake light switch wires are both marked with the number 75

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To work correctly the wires (75) need to be wired to the light switch, there should be matching number 75 harness wires by the switch.
75A and 75B again does not matter which way the brake switch numbers 75 wires are connected.

HUMMER H1

To work correctly the wires (75) need to be wired to the turn signal switch, there should be matching number 75 harness wires by the switch.
75A and 75B again does not matter which way the brake switch numbers 75 wires are connected.
thank you sir,
On mine the numbers say 810 A and 810b,
So basically the two female wires complete the circuit when Brake pedal is pressed correct ?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes but an ohm meter will confirm, according to the standard wire list wire number 810 is part of a traverse/elevation system so I am confused at why you are seeing that number.

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One is the switch for the brake light and the other is the switch that tells the transmission controller that the brake is applied.
Synchronizing both is a nightmare cause of short pedal travel of the HMMWV!
I have therefore switched the Siganl for the transmission control unit via a relay. I pick up the brake light directly at the bottom of the switch and operate the Reais. Result = 100% synchronous, always!

What I can not believe so reht is that your HMMWV is a 12V vehicle. Who on earth converts a HMMWV to 12V? And why?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric will not be needing the tranny controller as he is installing a separate controller because his harness was pretty cut up.

He converts his hmmwv’s to 12 V a lot. Given he has 300,000 miles on one of them that he built from parts in boxes, I believe he gets it done correctly.

T

HUMMER H1

One is the switch for the brake light and the other is the switch that tells the transmission controller that the brake is applied.
Synchronizing both is a nightmare cause of short pedal travel of the HMMWV!
I have therefore switched the Siganl for the transmission control unit via a relay. I pick up the brake light directly at the bottom of the switch and operate the Reais. Result = 100% synchronous, always!

What I can not believe so reht is that your HMMWV is a 12V vehicle. Who on earth converts a HMMWV to 12V? And why?
when I bought this vehicle it was supposed to be parts truck, most wiring was cut and parts missing.
No starter
No generator
No control box
no PSB box
Broken lights
No gauges

so I thought to myself, I had 12v shut of solenoid laying around, I said let me try to start the engine and see if it runs, if it does I won’t part it out,
Sure enough it started rights up.

at that point I had to choose to stick to 24v and source all the parts, or swap to 12v and use parts that I already had.

believe me I wish it was 24v original wiring is extremely well built.
but now it’s all done and everything is
All properly wired and vehicle is drivable,

I am using stand alone transmission controller
12 v glow plugs
Manual glow plug heater with ford starter solenoid
8 groove pulley on a Ac DELCO alternator.
it’s actually very simple reliable setup.
9D87C3F5-0464-4E0B-B45C-DE39A841FC74.jpeg

HUMMER H1

To work correctly the wires (75) need to be wired to the light switch, there should be matching number 75 harness wires by the switch.
you are absolutely right, the number is 75a and 75b
On the brake light switch female connectors

I was looking at the male plug, that says 810a and 810b

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing about Eric…. He just gets it done. He makes it all work and has no time for excuses.