• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does one actually get Alcohol into the brake system???

Jones

When you can, get your air dryer installed; it's by far the best solution. My Bendix unit also has a filter element so the system gets dry, filtered air.
No moisture from the get go means; no icing, no water or rustouts in the air tanks, no corrosion in brake valves or air pots-- plus, no moisture into air tools if you're using them of your truck's air.
In the mean time; Unimog uses an alchohol set-up that plumbs into an air line downstream. It's purpose is to mix alchohol with any moisture and that allows it to vaporize easier and get blown out of the system. Some write-ups on it might give you some ideas.

Jones said:
When you can, get your air dryer installed; it's by far the best solution. My Bendix unit also has a filter element so the system gets dry, filtered air.
No moisture from the get go means; no icing, no water or rustouts in the air tanks, no corrosion in brake valves or air pots-- plus, no moisture into air tools if you're using them of your truck's air.
In the mean time; Unimog uses an alchohol set-up that plumbs into an air line downstream. It's purpose is to mix alchohol with any moisture and that allows it to vaporize easier and get blown out of the system. Some write-ups on it might give you some ideas.
Trouble is i cant decide what truck to put it on and i only have one that is 24 volt.

Jones

Hmmm, tough one. Sounds like you need one of those mil. spec.fortune telling 8-balls. You flip it over and it says something like; "All signs point to the deuce".
The Bendix units have an interchangable heater so all you do is install the one for your voltage. If you have a truck wrecking yard in your area you might pick up a few and equip your fleet.
I'll PM you the Bendix book that shows them.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Haldex dryer DA34110 new in the box. List for $456.00 from nappa. sell for $225.00 plus shipping. Has replaceable cartridge,universal bracket, heater 24 v.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the subject includes air dryers, how often must the cartridge be replaced and how do you know when to replace it?
How is oil handled, which is almost unavoidably mixed with the air?

FWIW, the FMTV trucks use air dryers.

Thanks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air dryers are not fool proof either. Don't know the answer to your question Bjorn. Never had an air dryer. I did put 1.5 million miles on my civi truck here with just an alcohol snifter. They are a lot simpler!

Lee in Alaska

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the maintenance manual the desiccant type dryer effectively removes moisture,oil and contaminants from the system. When compressor cut-out is reached dry air is allowed to flow back to regenerate the desiccant bed.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem #1 on your list indicates that a contaminated desiccant cartridge can let water into the system, that alone is a reason to also have an alcohol evaporator hooked up. From the "Repair" column, oil from the compressor will contaminate the cartridge....

Wolf.Dose

Off course air dryer systems do not use alcohol to prevent the system from freesing. The main contence is an air dryer cartridge, which has to be replaced every 80000 miles or so. But you need a 4 liter recovery air tank additional in the system which blows out the moisture when the regulator shut of the air supply to the brake system. Your truck dealer (I'm talking about the big ones) should know how to install it(If they are not only ISO9001/2000 workers, means experianced). The system runs without any electric supply execept the clogging check, which is for modern trucks. But it will work without electrctris also; it is simply pressure related and mechanical. The system is standard for almost 20 years in Europe, no problems known exept bad service of the cartridge.For the latest state of the art trucks it might be with some electronic controll, but you do not need that ultra modern stuff! If you keep your cartridge in a regular replaced manner you even do not need the heating systen down to some -20°Celsius, which is below 0° Fahrenheit. The heat from the compressed air will heat the system according to its needs.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks