• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how does the m1009 run on waste motor oil

camp9

I would think putting a heater in the tank that the WMO comes from so its hot hitting the IP, pump, and injectors would be a big help to making it work.

danny81

I filter down to 1 micron using bag filters and run about a 10% blend. Thats less than 3 gallon of wmo, cant see how that can hurt. It hasn't yet anyways

ranchhopper

A diesel is made to run on oil period it does not know the difference where it comes from viscosity is what makes the difference . That being said its the particulates such as like westy said carbon which is highly abrasive and will ruin the IP or metal flakes if you filter the particulates out of it your engine will run just fine on most any oil.

bigflew

I have a get of jail free card, sent the State of Ohio the road tax for x amount of non taxed fuel I use per year, now would love to get pulled over and have my tank dipped.

Really? personaly Im waiting form a check from the feds for recycling used oil.
been runing wmo (filterd) since the straight deisel took out both my trucks injection pumps. runs great 2years

DXTAC

WIll run fine. Will start okay (two cycles of the GP's). Slight loss of power (noticeable). Smokes a little more when first started (not while driving). No noticeable sound difference (I run 3" exhaust with Flowmasters). I run 5 gallons per tank. Doesn't like the cold much even in my attached garage. I use a centrifuge down to about 1 micron and sometimes use a bag as well.

:)

wardepartment

Hope you don't mind if I chime in... I have put a lot of miles on a m1008 since the first time diesel knocked on the 5$/gallon mark. Very successfully I might add. I started out at 75% for a time simply driven by a lack of funds to thin it further. After about 15k I installed a turbo from a 6.5 and have come to the conclusion that 50% is the sweet spot for mine. I am running roughly 66% in my 7.3 IDI turbodiesel. (disclaimer follows) "Of course I am not one to listen to sound advice",I figure if I can get a couple hundred gallons of pre tested wmo, 80w90 and stale gas through a filter before I change it out I am money ahead. I am a dollars and sense kind of guy ( spelling error intended) it boils down to the point that I understand that a db2 pump is a simple device that actually appreciates the lubricity of the 5 micron sludge I force into it. I commend those of you who speak words of caution regarding experimenting with alternative methods, some of us just have to learn the hard way!

sochuck

Hi, I am new to the CUCV and have spent the last week reading over the 600 or so pages of the CUCV section. I have a question related to this topic. In my Cummins I was adding Power Kleen as a lube supplement for the low sulfur diesel in production. I started using it with the 1009 (old moldy). Is this effective as a lube for the IP or do I need to add motor oil? I read here that adding 20w50 motor oil was a good choice. So, what is the skinny on this debate?

pgwaldner

I run used motor oil mixed with diesel and it runs A LOT better with some motor oil in it. The truck will sit for a few weeks without being started and it always starts right up. When it is used it is not uncommon for it to be driven 300 to 500 miles in a day. It seems to have more power with the oil mix,

Hi, I am new to the CUCV and have spent the last week reading over the 600 or so pages of the CUCV section. I have a question related to this topic. In my Cummins I was adding Power Kleen as a lube supplement for the low sulfur diesel in production. I started using it with the 1009 (old moldy). Is this effective as a lube for the IP or do I need to add motor oil? I read here that adding 20w50 motor oil was a good choice. So, what is the skinny on this debate?

epitts

[HR][/HR]
When I first got my M1009 I would run a quart of 2 cycle outboard oil per tank full. The truck ran better and was quitter. Now I run Standadyne fuel additive at every tank full for lube. Mixing Used motor oil or running bio-diesel is at your own risk. I worked in a pump shop and bio-diesel if it sat for a long time was bad for the DB2 pump. As always YMMV

UNIMOG-GUY

It is illegal to use anything but LSD or ULSD. Just so you know.
Just so you know...This actually isn't 100% correct. You can run other liquids as a fuel if you pay the "road tax" on them. Some states have a fuel blenders license where you pay the road tax on the fuel you are running. The amount you pay is directly related to the amount of fuel you use. Here is the information for the state of Virginia: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/commercial/#taxact/license.asp.
You will have to search or even call the state of CT to find the information for a fuel blenders license.

Last edited: