• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How easy does your multifuel deuce start?

Blackbear

i agree with your starting warm, fires up on demand, however if it has sat for a bit, takes about 30seconds for the fuel pump to load it up, then two or three cranks, check fuel pumps, I just replaced all three filters runs great, I will try the gas portion, I have been running strictly diesel.

Katavic918

Thanks for all the replies. I just tried letting the pump run for a minute before starting. I had the hold the pedal down as always when cranking to start but it didn't run as rough when it first starts as it usually does. I'm still going to get the injectors tested when I get time. I'll be sure to post the results.

Katavic918

First thing I'd do is have your injectors pop tested and adjusted. When I did my head gaskets, I tested my injectors and not one of them popped at pressures over 2000psi. They are supposed to pop at 3k psi.
Is there a range of psi where they are considered OK or should they pop at 3k and no less? Thanks.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK....

After I got home, I stepped outside, opened the door on our Deuce - The ARK - and, while standing on the ground (NOTE: Clutch ENGAGED with Transmission and Transer Case in NEUTRAL, AND NO pressure on the "Gas Pedal") here's exactly what I recorded.....

https://youtu.be/P0vPVuSo2VI

As I mentioned before, the only time she's sluggish starting is when it's time to do something with her fuel filters. This time, the filters installed have about 30 minutes of engine run time on them.

Carry on.

andy3

Down to 30 degrees it is usually less than 1 second to crank. Under can take 3 to 5. I burn lots of waste oil. I just added a block heater and will see how it does in the teens. I drive mine every week at least once.

Katavic918

OK....

After I got home, I stepped outside, opened the door on our Deuce - The ARK - and, while standing on the ground (NOTE: Clutch ENGAGED with Transmission and Transer Case in NEUTRAL, AND NO pressure on the "Gas Pedal") here's exactly what I recorded.....

As I mentioned before, the only time she's sluggish starting is when it's time to do something with her fuel filters. This time, the filters installed have about 30 minutes of engine run time on them.

Carry on.
That's impressive. If I can get even close to that I'd be happy.

Pugsley

Mine starts the same way. It lives outside. It will start like that even after sitting for a month down to about 35. If its colder out I have to fiddle with the flame heater a bit to get it to fire off.

bonedoc

Mine starts the same way. Never needs to crank much at all. I let the fuel pump run a few seconds to pressurize the system and a quick bump of the button and she is running

OK....

Carry on.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is how mine starts.

Our Deuce was formerly a brushfire truck that we purchased from the VFD/County that owned it. On our very first visit to the truck, after doing a pre-start walk around and such, I pressed the start button and it was like starting an electric motor... I never really heard her "crank", she just started running.

Since then, the only times I have experienced starting sluggishness was whenever we had fuel filter nastiness... With clean and fresh filters she has ALWAYS started promptly.

If I have a chance, I'll post a video of her quick-starting tonight.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in ND and we have a deuce that actually does work for its living and with good batteries and only using the manifold flame heater we have started that truck a few times down to 10 degrees with no problems. That flame heater is one the best starting aides I have ever seen, even though there are some folks who say they are junk. My results have been nothing but great especially since I dont like using ether unless its a last resort!
KK

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
They say hold the button down for a moment because of the amps and the starter and such but it is running before I can get finger off the button. None of that put the fuel pump on for a while stuff. I turn the switch, the buzzer goes on, touch the button and 58 seconds later the buzzer goes quiet.

TsgtB

What would help with the slower starts? Timing or turned up fuel.
My old engine started with just a bump, this one takes some pedal.

andy3

More importantly, if it takes that long to start I bet you are losing prime when sitting. Fix all fuel leaks. Go ahead and bypass the FDC. If the flame heater is leaking fix or delete it. Check all fuel hose connections & filter seals.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have found that yes, injector health is important. We have also had trucks that did not want to start right until we turned up the fuel. We go way beyond what many say on here is dangerous with no problems with good gasket sets but if you are afraid to do it too much, turn it up until you get good starts. We rarely have to use start assist unless it is really cold.
About pushing down the pedal, this gives more fuel to the system and can help no matter what they say. Just get off of it as soon as it starts to avoid overspeed until the oil pressure comes up. Remember, most military manuals take into consideration that many of the drivers they get are not really experienced truck drivers/mechanic combinations, so they have to err really hard on the safe side! We have tractors with Minimec injection pumps on them that have a button on the side that is to be pushed for cold weather starts. This button releases the fuel rack in the pump to full advance, full fuel for cold weather starting, releasing it back to your low throttle setting as soon as the pump governor senses the start and believe me it works!
Regards Martin

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has always started immediately, even in SE Alaska winter. Our diesel is winter blend during cold months. No block heater or other aids. Our temps (when I lived there) were not Fairbanks cold though.

Katavic918

OK. I may have narrowed down my starting problem but I'll let the experts decide. I decided to change my filters again just to be sure. Primed the system, and it still started the same way. Took it out for a spin and noticed no difference. However, this time when I parked it I shut the engine off for about 15 seconds. Then tried restarting. It would not start without accelerator assist. So that seems to me like its just not getting enough fuel at idle? I still haven't had my injectors tested. Should I try turning the fuel up a bit?

Katavic918

OK. Update #2. I checked my droop screw and found about a half an inch of threads hanging out. Got things to do right now but I'll post back later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks