• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How easy does your multifuel deuce start?

Jeepsinker

A HALF INCH??? Does it smoke like a freight train at idle? Do you have a pyrometer installed? That sounds WAY high on the fuel setting, unless I'm not thinking of the right screw, and I'm pretty sure I am.

Katavic918

No, you're thinking of the right one. It's only supposed to be out an eight of an inch. I adjusted it back to an eight and it wouldn't even start with the pedal to the floor. So I put it back to where it was and then went out another 6 flats. At that point it would attempt to start without any pedal intervention. So I went for a ride. I'm still smiling from the amount of power it had. Still not a ton of smoke but a decent trail on the dark grey side. Don't get me wrong, I understood it wasn't natural to have that amount of power so I enjoyed it in short bursts. And turned it back 3 flats when I got home. Man, what a ride though. Either something is screwed up in my IP or I'm having injector issues.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Crank the truck and let it idle, then adjust the idle up to 800-850 rpm. That should give it the extra fuel it needs to crank easily. If not, get your injectors serviced.

Jeepsinker

And you can turn your fuel back up a bit, just be careful. At least get a $30 boost gauge from a parts house and plumb it in. If you have the whistler, tune fuel to max around 10-12 psi of boost. If you have the D turbo you can go up to 15-18 psi. Just don't run it max boost up long grades.

sandcobra164

I have turned mine up quite a bit. I don't have a pyro but I did the recommended "Safe" stomp the throttle at idle and make a black cloud suggestion. I've run it 5 years this way and it starts as soon as I blow at the start button, even after sitting for a month or so. I've towed heavy stuff with this truck as well. Heaviest Load to date is a 23,000 pound trailer that had full air brakes that the truck had full control of. Proof of that for me is the trailer brakes would engage before the trucks brakes engaged and the truck likely never did the braking the whole trip home. It did start leaking some oil from the right front cylinder head recently but I've read that it is common and even the Army stopped worrying about it. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Jeepsinker

I found my new motor leaking oil in the same place when I got home from the GA rally. Same place my old one was leaking too. I need to get, or make a head nut wrench so I can retorque the heads. Otherwise the motor is still leak free.

Katavic918

And you can turn your fuel back up a bit, just be careful. At least get a $30 boost gauge from a parts house and plumb it in. If you have the whistler, tune fuel to max around 10-12 psi of boost. If you have the D turbo you can go up to 15-18 psi. Just don't run it max boost up long grades.
Thanks I have been wanting a boost gauge anyway just for my ocd.

3dAngus

Always a bump start except once. Even after sitting for months at a time, winter or summer.
That one time, the fuel cutoff was pulled out the whole six months it sat idle. After I worked the pull out two to three times, it was a bump start again thereafter. I am assuming after sitting with fuel cut off for so long, it got stuck even after I pushed it back in from the cab. Working it back and forth released it.

I will be sure never to leave the fuel cutoff pulled out again. After the engine stop, I'll push it back in to its normal position and put the emergency brake on.

Last edited:

Katavic918

I got my injectors tested. They were all about 220 bar or 3200psi. it does run a lot better with the Fuel turned up a bit. Starts a little easier but mainly it feels better when driving. I don't feel like I have to wring the motor out as bad. No black smoke but more of a light to medium gray puff when shifting.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't start mine much, because it's not road worthy. But it always starts the second time. I imagine a little pressure leaks off the system, but it runs fine as soon as it starts. Very little smoke, and that great C-turbo whistle...

71DeuceAK

DodgedougAK, slightly off topic but where in SE Alaska? I also live in SE and plan to be living in Fairbanks during college...hopefully driving a Deuce up there too!

Seth_O

Mine fires instantly, every time. In fact I was relocated for a few months over the summer. When I got home all my vehicles had dead batteries and wouldn't start (had to replace one of them) but not the deuce! Although the first start it did require about a 1.5sec blip on the starter. But just that first time ;-)

daytonatrbo

My truck typically sits for a few weeks between uses. I let the lift pump run for a bit and I crank it over a little with the engine stop pulled out (I saw this advised somewhere in case of hydrolock when sitting). I then push it in and by the time the engine stop hits the dash, the engine is running.

My 109 has a small fuel leak that I plan to fix this weekend. I just run the lift pump a little longer on it, and it fires right up just the same. If I don't give it extra time, its a little lumpy when it first idles.

Chairbornrangerx

Right now mine takes full pedal and about 1 minute of solid cranking before it wants to kick over, then I have to quickly let off the pedal to keep it below 1k rpms. I've replaced the fuel filters and cleaned out the housings(they were bad). I pulled the cover off the fuel shutoff on the IP and checked the control in there, it was in the 6 o'clock position moved pretty freely to the 5'ish o'clock position. The next time I try to start it, I'll record a short video and post it.

Another member Heath has been helping and we're thinking it could be a gummed up shutoff plunger in the HH. Reading through all the pages in this thread I see guys talking about having the injectors tested, I'm wondering if that is in my near future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks