• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How far has anyone travelled in their Deuce?

WarCloud

Out of curiosity, and the need to get my Deuce to Arizona from Colorado..

How far has anyone here actually run their Deuce out on an interstate? What top speed could you safely maintain without getting nervous about your rods staying inside?

dittle

Most people here have taken their Deuces out on the interstate, some have recovered them at almost 2000 miles. Most run around 48 - 52 mph over long distances to be safe so if you run around that it should be ok. I've talked to my AMSA buddies and they said run them at their governor (which is what I do, except downhill) as that is what the engine was designed to do. In their years in the service (30+ years each, one has retired, the other will be) they had only had 1 truck blow an engine and that was because some internal bolts weren't tight from the overhaul shop. I'll trust their hours of experience for my truck any day.

Last edited:

stumps

1200 miles, all highway, about 45-50 MPH, and 7.5 MPG. I have never had more fun in my life!

As to the remark about the engine being designed to run against its governor, I would think that is wrong. The governor is set for 2800 RPM, but the truck is full of warnings that the max speed is 2600 RPM. 2800 RPM is fast for a diesel the size of the MF.

-Chuck

ctmustang

I drove mine 500 miles straight at recovery time. As a 25 year heavy mechanic I will go with not running it on the governor. I have run all my deuces on the highway at 45-50 mph as that is where they seem to be the happiest. Not trying to tell anyone their business. Just stop and think of the size of the rotating mass. My first deuce I ran it on the governor on hiway many times with no problem but why stress it out if you don't have to.
Just my 2cents C.T.Mustang

phil2968

Did 1000 miles round trip to the Ga rally in the M109 from central florida. Not quite as far as recovery4x4 but close. Ran 55 to 60 mph on the way up, nervous about winding it to tight. The gps said I topped out at 62.5 mph on level hiway at full throttle on the gov. On the way back home, pulled the hand throttle all the way out, feet flat on the floor and just rode. Letting up on it on just the downhill parts. If I didn't have a time frame to meet, would not have run it that hard. It's much happier at 45 to 50 mph.:-D

Left Macon trying to catch these National Guard guys to show'em the old deuce still had it! Ran full throttle and passed them before they got off at tifton!

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I run mine 55-58 everytime I go on the road, done many recovery flat tows, 50-1000 miles with it, and it runs nice at 2500-2600 rpm

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

One of our club members drove from the Seattle area to Washington DC, then did the Transcontinental Convoy on the Lincoln Highway to CA and then back to the Seattle area, 7380 miles in a Deuce!

jatonka

I drove my M109A3 across the country last summer on US Rt 20. Pulling an M105A2 trailer with clothing repair shelter in it. Got 9.8 MPG overall. Running on 11.00x20 Goodyear radials, lockout hubs, pulled axles on forward rear tandem . Fully loaded with 4 people's gear, kitchen gear and a lot of spare parts. 7000 miles, 4 mountain ranges, most fun of my life. Going to Alaska in 2012. JT out

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JT, you want me to wait and we can convoy to Alaska together in 2012?

Wife and I did a 1000 mile round trip in the m109, towed a m146 to VA and came back empty. I drive mine anywhere, anytime. Ask Neil, I carry tons of parts and tools.

100dollarman

A few months ago I drove my bobbed Deuce 426 miles in 9.5 hours towing a trailer.

Hey Nice truck!!!LOL

I sent another one just like yours to Seattle- he drove that one home with a trailer 1300 miles (no pic), and this one just left the yard heading to Idaho about 1100 miles away--- havent heard if he made it yet! Yours was his inspiration for us to build his just like yours! Look familiar?:grin:

Attachments

jatonka

Hey Ferro, yes, wait til 2012, we'll meet up in Nebraska at 2027deuce's place and he will run with us in his M109A3 with his boys. I have a lead jeep for out front and an M43 Ambulance in the rear just in case. Of course, you have to be over 50 to run with us old dogs. JT out

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sorry dittle, you are wrong. running as fast as the govenor will go will result in broken engine. some trucks with tuning issues or non turbo may not go there but turbo engines should easily. 2600 is MAX safe rpm, i would run a little less. i set my gov at 2550 and it will easily stay there if you keep your foot on floor.

i have gone on 2000 - 3000 mile trips.

tom

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stumps,

Governor is set at 2800 with no load, with the truck pulling it will only go 2600.
unless the fuel's been turned up. always watch the tach.

I did a few road trips, max was maybe 3000 miles at 50MPH or so. None were without some little incident along the way.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks