• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How full to fill Tank

lost in the bush

Hello

Other than having fuel spill out of the tank, how full do you fill the tanks.

We filled up Big Momma yesterday. Was not sure where to stop, so I topped off at about 1/2" below the top of the screen?

Is this correct?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

RTM?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 3 cities named Indianapolis in the US. Indianapolis, Indiana is in Marion County. Indianapolis, Iowa is in Mahaska County. And last but not least, Indianapolis, Oklahoma is in Custer County

• Location: We require that all members include their state in their new member profile. This allows the other members to know their neighbors. Users who refuse to add their location will be subject to warning, temporary ban, and then permanent ban.

This is one of the most basic rules we have on this site.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do.. Where is the town "Central" in NY?
I am within the rules with that location.

phil2968

I do put all I can on road trips. If will be setting it will be an inch or two below the top. Your fuel cap is not vented so excess fuel will make its way to the venting system where it does not need to be.

Goose2448

There should be a line. If not I would paint one about 4 inches down. Diesel here is still up around $3.80 so save every drop. I do not have a line on my concrete pump and I just bring it to the bottom of the filler neck, 2" down form the cap. It splashes out even with the cap on, but I dont worry about it, because I aint paying for it:doghead:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on what I am doing. If the M814 is gonna sit for a while, I leave 2" of head space. If I am on the road, then I fill it to the vent hole on the screen support.:mrgreen::jumpin::cookoo:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Military doctrine was to leave headspace since the vehicles were topped off when brought back into the Motor Pool. Most units painted a line where the proper headspace position is.

I have seen drivers fill the vehicles to the brim and then when the tank heated up the fuel would leak out on the ground and all ell would break loose.

Heavysteven

Another reason not to overfill is that in some cases the vent line for the fuel tank and brakes are interconnected. Overfilling could push diesel fuel into the master cylinder. I believe there was a work order to separate the brake vent and fuel tank vent but on my truck it was never done. I had to separate them myself.

Also, keeping the tank full helps reduce the risk of condensation.

cbvet

If you're going to be going down the road right away, you can fill it almost to the top. Level will drop quick enough that you won't have to worry about overfilling:???:
If it's going to be parked, especially in the sun, leave a couple of inches at the top of the tank.

Last edited: