• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How hard to change out CV boot

trooper632

I will be getting a HMMWV in a couple of weeks when euc clears, only issue is a torn CV boot. How hard are they to change and can I get them from a GM dealer. Looks like a front one from the photos, thanks. 1994 model

KansasBobcat

You can get the kits from Rockford. Phone 815-962-1411. These include everything you need. However, youmight just consider replacing the half shafts since there may be wear or damage since the boot is torn. That is what I did. Complete sets of half shafts used to be 500-600$ Probably higher now. Order by part number to get the correct ones. They did change...heavy vs earlier. To answer your question, after reading the TM I decided the shaft replacement looked easier. I did try taking the half shafts to local axel shop for boot replacement and they were not interested since it was A HMMWV! However the parts are readily available but they did not want to check!

TedG

For military hmmwv's, there is at least 3 different halfshaft models: 7700, 10300 and 12100. All take different boot sizes due to the shaft diameter and the ends. Make sure you buy the correct boot kit. If you search for hmmwv halfshaft boot you find plenty of information on how to repair. The amount of time to repair is much longer than to just replace with new halfshaft. If you replace entire halfshaft with new, then repair your original ones and keep as spares. If you do one boot on the shaft, do the other too. And while you are at it replace the hub input seal with new, the halfshaft 6 metric bolts and lock nuts (norlock washers) and the hub bolt and lock washer and use thread locker.

ZZ4x4

It's not hard to do at all. If you are replacing the outer CV boot I highly recommend disassembling the inner CV and sliding both boots off the shaft toward the inner CV joint. Then slide your new outer boot on and then the old inner back on. The inner CV joint is easier to disassemble than the outer. The new CV boot kit comes with two sets of band clamps so it implies you should do it that way anyway. There are some good videos on youtube of the process.

KansasBobcat

For military hmmwv's, there is at least 3 different halfshaft models: 7700, 10300 and 12100. All take different boot sizes due to the shaft diameter and the ends. Make sure you buy the correct boot kit. If you search for hmmwv halfshaft boot you find plenty of information on how to repair. The amount of time to repair is much longer than to just replace with new halfshaft. If you replace entire halfshaft with new, then repair your original ones and keep as spares. If you do one boot on the shaft, do the other too. And while you are at it replace the hub input seal with new, the halfshaft 6 metric bolts and lock nuts (norlock washers) and the hub bolt and lock washer and use thread locker.
None of the HMMWV folks argue with Ted.

kapkanimd

I have seen a bunch of threads indicating the different halfshafts, but no one mentioned how to tell the difference. I just got my HMMWV about a month or so ago, and all the boots were intact. I took it on a decent drive (about 30 miles) and when I went to go home I noticed the driver outer boot was torn open. I think it happened by turning the wheels all the way out to make use of the steering wheel lock rather than the actual drive. Either way, need to replace, and am likely going to have to replace all. Mine is an 89 but has been through an update in 2002 so Im not sure what parts it might have on it. If you can point me in the right direction to figure out the right parts I am sure it will be no issue replacing them all. Thanks in advance!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks