• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How High of a Garage door?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure it is when that is only what the city would let me build. They have this stupid ordinance that the shop square footage cant be bigger than the house square footage.....obviously the ordinance was written by a woman...
:( Looks nice and you had the foresight to build tall. Mine's 10' tall inside I built 3 years or so before I got the disease. I still say in a few years it won't be long enough though :) coming from 45'x72' full to the brim......

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As sure as heck would like to see what you put in your model train barn it being even higher as your truck barn.

Everybody now always has these electric doors? Nobody using those folded doors like in the pic anymore? They are high enough and cheap (at least here) and no problems with the open door taking away part of your head space. True, you have to get out of your truck to open them, but that is good exercise.

View attachment 478056 View attachment 478057

These are the doors for my sons blacksmith workshop, about 41' x 92' ground space. Height at the sides is 16', in the middle 26'. We planned that my truck would be in there as well, but by the time it got to the Czech Republic, the workshop was full with old blacksmith equipment (3 power hammers, two presses, few laths etc,etc) and steel crates full of old steel and iron pieces (chains, old farming utensils, pieces of iron crosses, old tools, etc, etc,). I would have to work a month there before we would have room for the M51A2.
I've never actually seen doors like that here in the US.

bigginstactical

Like stated before. Build as big as you can afford. Our body shop has 12x14 doors for the main drive through stall and we have no problem pulling in log trucks and my deuce. If this will be your only door and you plan on pulling in other rigs I would go wider so you can start turning in the doorway if there is a vehicle in the stall.