• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how hot does your deuce get

ranchand

My deuce usualy runs around 160 with the fuel turned up and winter cover open. And she doesn't get much past 200 hauling 5 yards of gravel from the pit 10mi away in August.

JDToumanian

Ok, may I ask a stupid question, is it necessarily bad to have a cool running engine?? I would think that the cooler it runs, the less stress is put on the internals.
Thomas, if it doesn't get up to the right temperature it won't drive off water and other combustion byproducts from the oil, and the engine can get sludge in the oil system. 180 is fine I'm sure, maybe that's even what the thermostat is.... My John Deere loader has a 180 in it.

Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah mine appears to be an exception.... I remember that Bjorn's Cranetruck also ran with the needle straight up but most seem to run on the cold side. It would be interesting to check the accuracy of the thermostats and gauges / senders.....
On a long downhill run, the temp could drop as much as 40°F and I therefore decided to use a "permanent" radiator cover as seen below. It also gets the temp up when using the crane at standstill.
Pictures show a hard run up the mountain (keep in mind that my deuce w/hiab weighs about 17,000 lb empty) and a rather normal temp when operating the crane.

I have checked my gauges against DVMs and thermocouple instruments and feel that they are very accurate...the fuel level may be an exception.

Attachments

rlwm211

Gosh Bjorn, by the looks of things you were passing that Semi......;-)

I passed a semi once on a trip going up hill...he passed me going down the next hill like I was standing still!

Jatonka has told me you had installed some sort of permanent cover on the radiator. I was running with my winter front on this past Veteran's day and it was cold in the morning....about 24. I had to pull it off later when the temps got up to 50 and I was pulling an M105 on some steep hills. My deuce has the S280 on it and probably weighs in at just about 18000, perhaps a bit less or more. Add that trailer and i was a bit uncomfortable with the temps over 200 so I stopped and pulled the winter front off and then they were at 170 pretty much all the time.

RL

Akicita

I drove about 60 miles today, including some highway at 50 mph and a lot of windy country roads at 25 - 40 mph.
Once warmed up, the needle stayed just to the right of the 160 degrees mark uphill, downhill, slow or fast. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say about 170 degrees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks