• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How I added reverse light switch for my HMMWV

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find the NSN for the correct switch, and several manufacturers part numbers for them.

looks like a $30 item.

I found it with the parts tm, then a google search.

donquijote

If you post an NSN for the bushing, we may be able to help you find the manufacturer and a part number for it.
I dont think there is an nsn to it... nor does it show in the TMs. It's probably all part of a single nsn for the switch itself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shamrocker1

My mistake. I had already received a warning from you relating to the auction posting and I thought that was over. I didn’t know an infraction with a Point was to come later even though I didn’t do it again. You also mentioned the multiple threads in my “infraction” message so I got confused. Should I expect another “infraction” Point in the future concerning this warning as well or is this issue over?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have no points "pending".

So, this bushing is needed for the wrong switch to be used, is that correct?

I've seen a few pics of a bushing with a neutral switch posted on the internet, but nobody posted a part number for it(just hardware store names)

Try a google search for "threadsert".

Knowing the tread sizes for the bushing, I think a threadsert could be used.

Or this, https://www.grainger.com/category/self-locking-inserts/thread-insert/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8o6

Last edited:

Shamrocker1

You are correct sir. You are also very thorough and detailed in your responses and I, for one, greatly appreciate your in depth response to the mystical bushing. I have a friend who owns a hardware store and will be on the horn Monday with his suppliers trying to locate this bushing. If it was made for these switches, it must exist somewhere. If he can find them, I will likely purchase a few hundred NSSs and sell them on the internet on a non-disclosed site which many people use daily. Thank you again sir.

Shamrocker1

This is not using the “wrong” part. The reverse switch sells for $75 - $85 each and they are the exact NSS with this mystical bushing. The NSS sells for $5 without the bushing. There is no such thing as a reverse switch with the correct threads for the hole in the gear selector. Hence, no NSN for a bushing.

Shamrocker1

Would you mind sharing what you found or just letting us know you found it? What is the NSN for the bushing or switch and who has them for $30? Sort of reminds me of that commercial where the dental monitor finds the huge cavity and then goes to lunch-lol.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a whole bunch of windows open, but I have closed them all.

I don't really want to go looking again(right now), sorry.

There was a commercial generic switch available, that was cheap. I think it was a napa number and maybe standard auto.

I started with googling "HMMWV reverse light switch".

Then I searched The NSN when I found it.

Then I searched the manufactrers part numbers associated with the NSN.

There were even some good threads on this stuff here on SS and G503.

donquijote

This is not using the “wrong” part. The reverse switch sells for $75 - $85 each and they are the exact NSS with this mystical bushing. The NSS sells for $5 without the bushing. There is no such thing as a reverse switch with the correct threads for the hole in the gear selector. Hence, no NSN for a bushing.
This is accurate. If you look in detail at the Parts TM page 99 it shows only one switch (a NSS part# 12338434), but if you look at the diagram, it shows the hole where a reverse switch would go for the M996 ambulance config. If you epay the NSS you will get sellers that mostly don't include the bushing. Occasionally i'll see it.

When you look at the diagram for the A2 HMMWV it shows an actual part# for a "Reverse Light Switch Assembly" which is #5714586 because of the newer transmission. If you search that part on epay, you can see it's the same switch for the older trucks with an added mounting bracket and the threaded bushing.

I think ultimately it's just a glitch in the manual where they should have indicated the same part for the A2 to work with the A0-A1 configs, considering the old ambulance config did have reverse lights and uses the 3-speed tranny. Because it is confusing and can lead to purchasing the wrong item.

The answer to who made the switch if you look up the NSN/Part for the reverse switch on the A2, it shows AM General and Furon, but my guess is AMG. For the NSN/Part on the Neutral switch, you get multiple makers over the years, AM General and Orscheln Products being the 2 most current makers. AMG might source elements and assemble the final switch.... the bushing may be one of those parts or they make it in house. Not sure if AMG will sell you a whole bunch of bushings though ;)

Shamrocker1

A man that does his homework. I am impressed! You are confirming everything I am finding online. When sourcing this NSN, most sights are either out of stock or they ask you to fill out a form to request a quote. I am looking forward to Monday for once in my life. If I cannot source this bushing through my hardware store friend, I will research the cost to manufacture a thousand of them. I had rather spend $1,000 for 1,000 pieces than $75 for one. I am somewhat diligent when challenged. You have been a great help, thanks!

donquijote

If I cannot source this bushing through my hardware store friend, I will research the cost to manufacture a thousand of them. I had rather spend $1,000 for 1,000 pieces than $75 for one. I am somewhat diligent when challenged. You have been a great help, thanks!
I would highly bet against any hardware store sourcing it any easier than you can from a cnc shop. My logic is because its such a specialized part and why AMG uses those odd ass dimensions coming from someone that designs products is beyond me.... but I see this head scratching logic on car manufacturing sometimes.

Let me save you some time and check starrapid.com first. They are a well priced commercial cnc shop I have used over the years for small projects like this. Yeah its chinesium but I've had good success with them when you're looking for something cost effective in small-medium quantity. The cost of materials to cut 1,000 bushings is pennies and a few hours of work... your cost will be in having the part designed in CAD (if you can't do it yourself using Inventor/Solidworks) and the Lathe CNC setup in CAM. So it'll be a few bucks per bushing delivered to your door is my guess.

Last edited:

donquijote

No cnc required, because doghead posted a part you could use and just cut down to size! It's not the oem part, but don't see a reason why it wont work perfect.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acme and a few other companies make these threaded inserts.

Google search, 9/16-18 insert, or 9/16-18 x 3/4-16 insert, and or threaded.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

donquijote

Yeah i have come across the non-wired switches, but was unsure if they are 24v and would work.

So do these switches not care about what voltage and it just passes any current through it once you push down the ball? The other thing I was wondering when looking at this a while back, is how long are the threads on these other adapters. Is the thread length for these pressure switches all the same? If they are longer than the AMG one, the shift lever wont be able to engage the ball and just hit against the threads, unless you backed out the switch enough to get it moving.

EDIT.. nm on the voltage. I see on your link they are voltage rated.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bet the depth/length is "standard".

They rate the switches by amps, or amps and volts.

I'f your using an led backup lamp, amps or volts(rated) most likely will not matter.

donquijote

I'f your using an led backup lamp, amps or volts(rated) most likely will not matter.
So even though all these are 12v rated switches and you have a reverse light that can handle 12/24v, the switch will still pass the 24v from the humvee to the reverse light regardless of the 12v rating?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks