• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How I solved the M1101 to tall problem.

tobyS

Hi Maxtor, see the setup that Mark has above? There is a 2 5/16" ball hitch that bolts into the U plate where he has the ring bolted on. The combination is about the same cost as a 2 5/16 hitch for 3' tube (weld or bolt on) at etrailer.

It's good to know there is a difference in the ring sizes too. Would not be fun to get there and find a different size, unable to do the tow home.

maxtor

Hi Maxtor, see the setup that Mark has above? There is a 2 5/16" ball hitch that bolts into the U plate where he has the ring bolted on. The combination is about the same cost as a 2 5/16 hitch for 3' tube (weld or bolt on) at etrailer.

It's good to know there is a difference in the ring sizes too. Would not be fun to get there and find a different size, unable to do the tow home.
I purchased new 30" tires and new wheels. As soon as it goes below 100 degrees here, I will start the modification. Last couple of days has been 103-105.
It is great to have a forum like ours to get other ideas on how to remedy problems.
Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

Tabasco Kid

Oh Man.... ring size?... now u have me worried that my hitch will not work at all. I went and tried in on the trailer king we have here and it works. The ring is 1.75" thick.

maxtor

I have bent two plates. Both bent while backing up. Binding seems to happen when you are backing up and turning on uneven ground. My pintle is a tight fit, with little clearance. After bending my first plate, I used a metal rasp and deburred my pintle, to no avail, because I then bent the second one. I purchased a third one, and will only use it on level ground going forward until I can change to a ball system. They bent so bad, the welding guru's said it would cost about the same to straighten them out as to purchase a new one. They twisted. I will take some pictures and show you tomorrow, if it cools down a bit.

maxtor

Oh Man.... ring size?... now u have me worried that my hitch will not work at all. I went and tried in on the trailer king we have here and it works. The ring is 1.75" thick.
1.65 is what my rings read. Maybe a little grease on the ring might help. Again, both plates bent while going backwards on uneven ground and turning at the same time.

1.65 is what my rings read. Maybe a little grease on the ring might help. Again, both plates bent while going backwards on uneven ground and turning at the same time.
Larger capacity pintle hitches usually have a larger space for the lunette to move around and minimizes the issue. I haven't had the issue with either a 7 or 10 ton hitch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My solution was a mildly lifted truck on 34's and a plate that lifts the pintle just slightly. Empty it rides dead level. Loaded to the gills like it is in this pic makes me think I should have lifted the hitch just a touch more. Tows fine at highway speeds. Backs fine, even off road and rough. The pintle is 15t. Most of the rest of the components are rated 10k lbs. I'm completely with you on lengthening the plate and increasing leverage. The best solution is probably putting 37's on the truck.

20140527_125923.jpg20140527_125844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vendor that actually makes this hitch for the military offers an adjustable coupling as an option. It installs directly into the M101 surge brake assembly, and was engineered and made to go in this hitch. He actually made some for the military too.

I put one in and installed a bulldog 2" coupling and it works fine on my Dodge 2500. It does require a lengthening of the safety chains...

It is Mendenhall Industries -- you can find them on the web -- Calvin is the guy you'd want to talk to...

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is hard to say what this would cost. My M101a2 had a defective surge brake unit -- it was twisted enough so as to make the surge brake unit inop and non-reparable. So I bought a complete new unit from the vendor and I got the adjustable coupling instead of the lunette. Total cost was ~300 dollars plus the cost of the bulldog (~80) but the adjustable coupling by itself is available if one was starting with a functioning surge brake unit.

What I like about this is that the trailer sits mostly level and I don't have to concern myself with the safety of the unit since the surge brake is all OEM.

glassk

link.jpg

I had no problem pulling an unloaded M1102 from Stewart, Magnetic lights and a couple of those links because the chains are about an Inch short with a bolt on pintle set up,...

View attachment 497731View attachment 497732View attachment 497733View attachment 497734View attachment 497730Hello Ev-1.. my 1st post so let's see if this works... I will be heading out as soon as my EUC comes in to Ft. Stewart to pick up a M1101 that I won on GL. ( 297$ out the gate if anyone wants to know ). Anyways, I will be pulling it w/ my 4Runner w/ a 12" reciever hitch. I will try and post pic's of my set up if I can figure out how to post them. Input is welcome and thx in advance for ev-1's help.