• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How loing will these things run

Dieselmec21

Hey guys I have been a class 8 truck mechanic for 25 years. I am used to engines and drive linne going 800k or more before a rebuild. How long will these M35 run if taken care of. Just wondering, also who has the most miles on there duce ?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are designed for different purposes. The deuce is designed to perform on a moment's notice anywhere at any time over a 20-25 year period, kind of like a missile in a silo. Lots of maintenance, few miles ever driven. My M49A2C fuel tanker had about 3,000 actual miles on it after 27 years in the service, yet it starts every time in any weather and has never let me down.
Few owners of a deuce will put more than 20,000 miles on it over a liftime of ownership, IMHO.

Dieselmec21

I have talked to some guy that says he has 157k miles on his with no problems. Did not know how long the multi fuel can go. I have 20K on mine. I know they are designed to sit most of there lives, wonder how long they where designed to run.

M35guy

If you care for the motor right, it'll likely last forever, but keeping it maintained is the key to this.

2deuce

Good Maintenance is crucial, but a little luck doesn't hurt either.
I have one with 2500 miles on it. The compensator might be leaking diesel back into the crankcase, because I detected a diesel oder when I changed oil. But the oil pressure is very good.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Also, the "engine hours" may be a better measure of life expectancy.
I have some 1,500 "hours" on my multifuel. It is furthermore not a linear accumulation of time, for lower rpms, the clock runs slower (it's tied in with engine rpm).
So, say that at highway speeds it should be more like 2,000 hours and to compare "highway speed" with an OTR tractor trailer rig, we should probably use 70 mph. So in conclusion, my 1,500 engine hours may be the equivalent of 140,000 miles for a commercial OTR rig and my engine isn't even breathing hard. :)

Many factors and definitions to consider here....

houdel

Bjorn - And how do you refuel that OTR truck running a constant 70 MPH? Low flying KC-135 perhaps? Loading and off loading would be a bear also! Just kidding, I get your point.

But you left out duty cycle. Most OTR trucks run for many hours at a time, an ideal condition. Most civillian Deuces I suspect are started up, run a relatively short distance, stopped, started again and run a short while, stopped and the sit a few days before the cycle repeats. Most engine wear occurs on cold engine start up and while the engine is warming up, so the typical Deuce has a much more severe duty cycle that the typical OTR truck. But I agree, properly maintained, the Duece should outlast most of us.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I am trying to find more information on an aftermarket product which, if the manufacturers claims can be believed, would virtually eliminate internal engine wear and make that old LDT465 run forever. See my post at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6581