• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long between gillespie red oxide primer and paint?

vectorsc

I keep hearing different things about the best hang time between the GCI paint and primer. I waited 24 hours last time and it worked out but would like a shorter topcoat time this run around. I heard someone say half an hour in one place.

Thoughts?

It's coming out well so far ( I know it's not a US rig but my LMTV deal died...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think 24 hours is very excessive. What does the Gillespie web site or MSDS say? I am betting 30-60 minutes is closer.....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I don't have a lot of red oxide experience, so you should probably just ignore everything you're about to read.

I have shot tons of stuff, mostly with Southern Polyurethane epoxy primer and as long as it's dry to the touch (i.e. it's dry enough that it isn't tacky any more), I haven't had any issue.

Now, with SP's epoxy, after it dries for ..... shoot, I can't remember, I think 48 hours, the manufacturer says you should sand/scuff it to give it bite for the paint. We never let it get that far, if you spray it within that window, the paint chemically bonds to the primer and supposedly sticks better. I don't know if that's true, but we've pressure washed everything we have done like this and none of the paint has come off.

I have no idea if the red oxide is the same.

I painted a buddy's deuce, and he had stripped the frame/axles and we primed it with red oxide. We were running out of daylight and the front hubs and drums were still wet with red oxide. It would not accept any paint, it basically "mixed" and dried as a red/green mix. The rest of the truck had barely dried, I mean 30-60 minutes and 2 years later it's still on there, after repeated pressure washings.

YMMV

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted numerous vehicles with Gillespie including the red oxide primer. I wait 2 hours between the primer and painting with no ill effects (likely excessive but I go get lunch). I've stopped using Gillespie and started with Behr Ultra Exterior and wont go back due to availability, price, easy clean up, BETTER COLOR MATCH, less misting, and more. I'm not trying to sell you on it but it's an "all-in-one" so no primer needed thus no wait time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks