• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long is too long to let sit!

Dasgog

Hello friends

I was wondering how long should be my max length in time to let my 72 Deice sit without starting/driving?
She runs perfectly fine new fluids no issues ever I just don’t really have time right now to drive it... Currently I start it every 3 or so weeks and drive around my block but it had me thinking if that was ok. What’s the longest it can sit during its “storage”?

Dasgog

I’ve never heard of a battery Tender ... As far as warming up I do drive for a good 20 minutes or so around the block I mean city block.. NW Tucson.
Thank you both

w250guy

My truck sat for 2 years before I bought it and she fired right up with fresh batteries. Brakes were a little stuck but it did fine for a 6 hour ride home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In the military (or at least the Army) vehicles were started at least once a week (called Motor Stables) and each piece of equipment was given a Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) inspection. All fluid levels were checked and the engine was allowed to reach operation temp. Occasionally there would be a convoy around the base to allow drivers to practice their skills. I try to start the M927A2 at least once a week but it doesn't always happen.

Sparkyz911

Had my deuce for 3 years and try to drive it to work at least once a month year round. 20 minutes each way. Has kept things working just fine. Had to jump it last week after sitting for 2 months and it was 25 out.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello friends

I was wondering how long should be my max length in time to let my 72 Deice sit without starting/driving?
She runs perfectly fine new fluids no issues ever I just don’t really have time right now to drive it... Currently I start it every 3 or so weeks and drive around my block but it had me thinking if that was ok. What’s the longest it can sit during its “storage”?

In your climate the primary problems would be rat-things infesting it, and rubber parts drying out.

Parked in the shade, with no drain on batteries and you should be good for at least a couple months at a time and probably more like a couple years.

Starting it and running it with no load may be worse than not starting it at all - it circulates oil and keeps seals moist, but it puts incomplete combustion products into the cylinders and the oil.

(We lived in Tucson for a couple years)

HDN

Where I live, the trucks sit all winter without starting until the spring. We don't use them mainly because of the road salt, and mine needs a going-over for next year. Having seen this done for years on jeeps and 3/4 tons, I don't think there's much harm in letting them sit for a few months. Just make sure the critters stay out of it with mothballs or peppermint oil.

Before driving it after awhile of sitting, be sure all of the fluid levels are good.

TGP (IL)

Treating the Fuel with some kind of stabilizer or quality additive and keeping the moisture drained off
Is probably the most important thing you can do.

Mine (everything) sits with a battery maintainer on them and I at least start them couple times a month
And drive when possible.

Tom

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Treating the Fuel with some kind of stabilizer or quality additive and keeping the moisture drained off
Is probably the most important thing you can do.

Mine (everything) sits with a battery maintainer on them and I at least start them couple times a month
And drive when possible.

Tom

Tucson - condensation isn't remotely an issue. Just doesn't happen. A glass full of ice will melt completely and not get a drop on the outside. Moisture trap on air compressor doesn't get moisture in it. Air dryer on the truck sneezes dry. Bare steel left outside for months doesn't rust.

I like the battery maintainer idea.

What I do for trucks stored in KS (similar to IL) is far different that what I do for trucks stored in AZ.

TGP (IL)

Tucson - condensation isn't remotely an issue. Just doesn't happen. A glass full of ice will melt completely and not get a drop on the outside. Moisture trap on air compressor doesn't get moisture in it. Air dryer on the truck sneezes dry. Bare steel left outside for months doesn't rust.

I like the battery maintainer idea.

What I do for trucks stored in KS (similar to IL) is far different that what I do for trucks stored in AZ.
Good Points
I'm well aware of the dry climate there.
He still needs to be aware of fuel issues Especially if using any kind of Bio blend.
Once that Bio mass separates into a Gooey mess, he'll pay attention then.

Or maybe you guy's are lucky enough to not have to deal with Bio blends, unlike here,
Where that's all we can get.

Yes, 24 volt battery maintainers are the only way to go.

Tom

Katavic918

I try to take mine out and run it at least every month. Sometimes it stretches to two months. I try to run it kind of hard once up to temperature. Not ragging on it but not just putting around. Also keep the kill knob pulled out when parked, that way if your fuel shut off in the injector pump does gum up it will be stuck in the kill position and not wide open throttle position. I also have a solargizer hooked up to the batteries which works great.

fpchief

We (Marine Corps) put solar tenders on all vehicles some years ago. I believe they did go away from it since I have retired. But they did work. I have them on two of my trucks. Eliminates having to have it plugged in, but if course it has to be uncovered. This one is permanently attached to the vehicle.

On the "how long can it sit"....the parts deuce I bought a few months ago sat for about 10 years. I put batteries in it did really nothing else other than repair a wire and it fired with first revolution of motor. If course there was about 1" of growth in the bottom of the tank though!!!!

Check this link out. Not exactly what we had or what I have but I think it is close. Expensive but I know there are cheaper alternatives.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you recommend any? I'm only familiar with the classic 12 V Battery Tender.
I use the Genius 7200. It handles 12 and 24 VDC as well as AGM and non-AGM batteries. You can see them at https://no.co/ . I also use solargizers as well. However, when there are leaves or snow covering the solargizer, there is zero output. I now have four Genius 7200 chargers for different vehicles. Very good equipment.

TGP (IL)

Can you recommend any? I'm only familiar with the classic 12 V Battery Tender.
Everything I have, be car, truck, equipment, has a Battery tender brand tender.
There are many cheaper ones, but I had have the best service from them.
And they back them up.

They have Solar too.

Six 24Volt Tenders
16 12Volt Tenders
2 6 Volt Tenders

Click : Industrial

Tom

fpchief

Everything I have, be car, truck, equipment, has a Battery tender brand tender.
There are many cheaper ones, but I had have the best service from them.
And they back them up.

They have Solar too.

Six 24Volt Tenders
16 12Volt Tenders
2 6 Volt Tenders

Click : Industrial

Tom
I agree with the battery tender brand....would be what I would buy had I not acquired these on the cheap. I did not know they had solar...good to know.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some empirical evidence-

While living in Tucson I had an M925. Mostly it sat in the driveway and was used as an air source for my plasma cutter once or twice a week. It got driven every two or three months and got filled up at that point. No issues.

That same M925 was driven to KS. I sold the G177s off it with the intent of replacing with 16.00's in short order. Life got in the way and that didn't happen. The truck sat on blocks in the backyard in KS for 18 months. It had a full tank of diesel, treated with Power Service. When I finally got around to getting wheels and tires on it, it started right up. No issues. I did not have a battery maintainer and did not start it while it was sitting.

My M998 HMMWV sat from October til March, in KS. Started right up. No issues. It has a solargizer on it.

Not to mention the scores of auction trucks that have sat for extended periods. That's a little bit different situation though. For one, the military's JP8 is much more tolerant than the biodiesel blends. And figure you're replacing batteries on any auction truck. The longest sitting auction truck I've dealt with was an XM818 sitting since 2004. We tow started it on the drive home using the fuel in the tanks. I went through it in more detail this past spring, replaced batteries and serviced the brakes. Drove it from KS to AZ.

I have two 818's in AZ that'll be sitting for a while. I filled the tanks with treated diesel, and pulled the batteries before I left.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in ND and all my trucks sit over the winter with no starting, every one has a 24 volt battery tender on it and if the trucks are going to sit over the summer unused I make sure to dump a anti-biological growth additive in the tank and run the truck before its actually done. We are cold in the winter but can sure be HOT in the summer, algae growth in diesel tanks is a concern for me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks