• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long should it take to replace a throw out bearing

gem1410

I have a frozen throw out bearing in a deuce--How many hours should this job take to replace the bearing --the clutch looks new--Thanks

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on who you are really. 2 to 5 hrs I'd guess, I can drop a deuce tranny in 45 minutes.

cdo

bearing

i also have a frozen one mine started cutting into the fingers. what all has to come out to get the trans out?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pull the passenger seat and tunnels from the cab and gearshift lever. Pull the jack-shaft between the transfer and transmission. Remove the clutch linkage and unbolt it. I may have missed one or two minor small things, but it's that easy. Shouldn't take more than an hour to pull the transmission out. Changing the bearing is easy as pie, putting it back in can take some time with monkeying around aligning things and all.

cdo

trans

why the seat? do you take it out from inside? i droped mine out the bottom tonight it was a real pain by myself but it's out.

TURKEY131

Hey gem1410 been there done that like what was said it is easy getting the trans out. Hard part is getting it back in. If u get stuck I think I know where you are at I could swing by and give u a hand. Not to far from your location.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
take the passenger seat out because it's a heck of a lot easier to work on the jack-shaft from the top than it is from under the truck. If a lot of people have trouble with the jack-shaft bolts coming loose, this could be a reason why....you can't get the proper leverage on the wrenches to tighten them properly from the bottom....you're too limited on space.

It's only 4 bolts and about 10 minutes to take the seat out.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little thing to help put the tranny in...

The end of the splines on the input shaft are squared off. If you take a grinding wheel or cut-off wheel and V or round the front edge of the splines over, it will start into the clutch plate much easier. Works on any manual transmission with large splines like a charm.

Dennis

Attachments

Last edited: