• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long will the M35 remain in service?

jpinst

I was reading some article on my M35 truck and the new FMTV, which entered service in 96, but apparently they were still upgrading to the M35A3 until 99'.

How much longer was the extended service program supposed top keep the M35 in service? It would to be interesting to know, as I guess then we could expect to see a lot more on the market after that point.

uh60

The National Guard has stoped using them. There might be some left in motor pools of units that are deployed, but they are to be turned in to the drmo.

Armymann

According to the information I have, as of 1 January 2008, all M35 series vehicles are to be Inspected, brought to 10/20 standards, and prepared for turn-in to the closest processing point. I have been working with a Unit at Camp Pendelton CA, to get 3 M35 series trucks turned in, 1 A2, 1 A3, and a Shop Van. Not sure if other areas have a different Turn-In date, as its the Army, and well, its the Army. I know that when I was in Iraq, the were running a big shop at LSA Anaconda, collecting all the M35 Dueces, and 700 series 5 tons, to retrofit and turn over to the Iraqi army. Was sad to see, LMTV based gun trucks having to be recovered, and Duece Gun trucks limping back in spewing oil, and fluids, on 4 tires, with all personell alive, if a bit beat up. Only to get refurbed and handed over to some Iraqi soldier that hated it. Ah well, its the Army.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No unit on the East Coast is working on bringing them to 10/20 standards, they are just bringing them to the DRMO for an as is turn in....

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Armymann welcome to the site! I know the ones I saw being cut up while over there made me cry but as late as 2006 there were still a lot of them being used as FOB rides. No off FOB use. See my photo album for a picture I took down in Kuwait that shows a line of them being ready to be cut up for scrap. I would not expect to see them on active or RC use for much longer but in the forrest service and local governments they may soldier on for many more years. I know I am planning on giving mine to one of my sons when it outlives me.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NG post in EL Monte used to have a yard full of deuces, 800 and 900 series trucks. They got replaced with sand colored FMTVs and some Frtlnr tractors also in sand color. The flatbed trailers were then stacked and tied together. They sat that way for 2-3 weeks. Now they are all gone...the only thing in the yard are 1 deuce, 1 tractor, a HMMWV and a bunch of cars gathering dust. Hope they all...the men and women..well the vehicles too...will be safe. The NG post in Commerce, as of two weeks ago, was still full of M35A2s and 3s, shop vans, 5 tons, M105s, CUCVs, cranes, forklifts, you name it, it's still there.

Alredneck

Banned
THe Airforce here at Eglin still uses a bunch and doesnt seem to be doing anything about getting new trucks, but hey they cant even keep their aircraft flying either so what the hey might as well stick with the ole reliable low maintnance deuce ( compared to newer models ) so they can keep something running!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The NG Chemical unit in my town has no deuces or 800 series 5 tons. The Engineer unit in Jacksonville has turned in most of theirs.....got a few left but they look like they are getting ready to turn them in too. They have a bunch of 105 trailers that look like they are heading to DRMO too.

Michael

I heard a rumor that the Mississippi national guard is turning in their M35s also. Makes me wonder how they are going to buy enough new trucks to replace them all.

Jones

All gone from my area too. Local FDs still have them but as far as parts and trucks goes; NOW, if not a year or so back, is the time to start scrounging anything and everything deuce related.
Some stuff is still available commercially (to cranetruck's amazement, we found his deuce rear oil seal at a NAPA store which was open even on a national holiday) but pieces like hoods and fenders are gonna get scarce as people decide thay might be smart to hang on to the stuff to keep their own fleet running.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
all the national guard units in miss have turned there trucks over and have been sold in shelby i have 2 of those

nattieleather

I figure another 2-5 years before every last duce is out of the system. I know the unit I share the armory with has three trucks left and according to the readiness nco they were going to have them for another year before they get turned in and get new trucks. Otherwise they have turned in all their duces, 5 tons and hemmits. They also just went from a Service battery to a general support company in the last year so a lot of the transformation is because of that.

jpinst

M35A3 stays on the shop van

I believe the M35A3 is going to be around for a while longer in the form of M109A4 shop van. This is from a FY2008 reserve equipment report I pilled off the net.

"iii. Sustainment Initiatives

The following initiatives are examples of how the Army Reserve has partnered with
industry to design and implement total rebuild and refurbishment programs.
The M109A4 Shop Van Truck (LIN X62340/X62477) is
designed to function as a mobile repair shop van that can also be
used to transport special equipment requiring protection from
dirt, dust, and moisture. In February 2000, the Army Reserve
successfully completed two M109A4 Shop Van Proof of
Principle upgrades at their Installation Materiel Maintenance
Activity facility at Fort McCoy, WI. The Army Reserve utilizes
the Maintenance Training Program to modify these shop vans.
The original M109A3 bodies were removed from their M35A2 truck chassis. The chassis
underwent an extended service program, while the van body was disassembled, modified, and upgraded, before reinstalling it onto the 2½-ton extended service program M35A3 chassis, thus creating the new M109A4 configuration. The program is about 88 percent completed. "

I will post the whole report. Its actually kind of interesting.

Attachments

Michael

RE: M35A3 stays on the shop van

Tupelo, MS is suppose to still have some of theirs. It would be my luck that they will send them to shelby instead of somewhere closer to me.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told that ALL M35A2s will be out of the system by early year. By the numbers flowing out this year so far, that may not be far off the mark. I would be shocked if there are any M35A2s or related variants in the system in five years, with the possible exception of the A3s. However, the A3s were not very well received by any branch of the military and cherry looking trucks are already being surplused, which does not bode well for their future. They were turned down by the regular Army immediately, or so I have read. I have never heard any good things about the A3s. Most people who know Cat motors tell me the motor is a piece of junk. I have heard this from at least two separate sources. The CTIS is also junk just like on the M939A2 series. The Allison tranny is a good one, though. With all of this said, I would love to own an A3...I'm just not willing to pay what GL is getting these days. Maybe, I'll own one when they start bringing in the $7K range. If they never go for that, I'll never own one and I can live with that.