• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many amps do the glow plugs pull at full load?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many amps do the glow plugs pull at full load? All 8 together in Winter, worst case scenario?

Thanks,

T

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found on the inter webs. Erik’s

A working glow plug should draw approximately 12 - 15 amps at 24 volts DC.

You said “worst case”, well battery voltage is also a variable.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the key is turned on and the wait light comes on the system starts pulling 12 volts at 126 amps. As the cycle continues the amps steadily drop down to 88 amps when the cycle ends and the wait light goes out. With the wait light out the rest of the system is pulling 5 amps.

I measured this with a 400 amp meter. My glow plug system draws from a 24v to 12v converter, not the stock resistor bank.

I live in the desert so the temperature wasn't as low as your asking. It was 40-50 here when I tested them. The system went through the full cycle.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the key is turned on and the wait light comes on the system starts pulling 12 volts at 126 amps. As the cycle continues the amps steadily drop down to 88 amps when the cycle ends and the wait light goes out. With the wait light out the rest of the system is pulling 5 amps.

I measured this with a 400 amp meter. My glow plug system draws from a 24v to 12v converter, not the stock resistor bank.

I live in the desert so the temperature wasn't as low as your asking. It was 40-50 here when I tested them. The system went through the full cycle.

Good data either way, but what vehicle did you measure this on?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Doctor... 😷 Hmmwv not all grease, nuts and bolts. A couple of variables at work here. Electrical Resistance and Voltage a thing called OHMS LAW♎.

So we know a good glow plug has a resistance in the range of 1.5 to 5 Ohms. Age, temperature, design, etc. Let's pick 3 ohms as the average.

OK,👌 say 8 good glow plugs, averaging 3 Ohms each. Calculate for resistance in parallel > https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/

Answer = .38 Ohms a very small resistance. Call it the "cold resistance"

Next measure battery Voltage. ⚡ Easy to do, but gets a little tricky here. Another variable. Our nice strong batteries measure 28 Volts. For academics sake let's stick with the 28 Volts, knowing under a hard loading it will drop. Flakey batteries could drop to ZIP so ours are really strong. 💪

So at this very moment / instance we energize the circuit apply the law. > https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/ohms-law-calculator/

BAM...✊ 73.68 Amps of in rush current. All the variables are in effect. Voltage is coming down, hot glow plug resistance going up working to turning those electron in to quick heat in the resistive element.🔥

I did it for Ya. Considering 💭the best and worst case for the plug range stated above 1.5 Ohms for all and 5 Ohms for all (not a likely scenario)

Here the results using our super duper batteries at 28 Volts (could be real world) and hitting the plugs cold.

The lowest resistance plugs 147.37 Amps. The higher resistance plugs 44.44444444 Amps. And that if the voltage stays the same. Not likely here too.

Try this...:jumpin: juggling the variables or work it out with say a burnt out plug or two. (zero Ohms) Try with a weak battery voltage, say 22 volts. Going to be hard to get the HEAT 🔥and then run the STARTer er er er. 🚛

It's all about them Ohms and Volts, and a little grease. 🛢 It's all an balancing ⚖act.

Not a doctor, but play ⏯ one on S.S. CAMO

This quarantine thing is getting to me. Going to take a pill now 💊

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Cam.

I will report back to you about any success/failure/explosions/meltdowns once I receive the Cole Hersee parts.

If successful I will post.

Ciao

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks