• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many digits in a 1990 HMMWV VIN?

undysworld

I need help from the community. I'm looking into Humvee info to help out the guys in MI who are having troubles, as written about under the Legislative forum.

Here's the question: For those of you with a 1990 AM General HMMWV 998, how many digits are in the VIN?

"Standard" VIN's have 17 digits. Do 1990 ex-military Humvees have the same number?

Thank you very much if you can help.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
military vehicles, unless they are commercially bought (Ex: M880/M890 series, CUCVs) will not have a standard 17 digit VIN.

Edit: Except M1070s apparently

Last edited:

undysworld

Okay guys. Thank you very much for the replies.

Now here's a question. This truck has an 11-digit VIN recorded on the title. I have not yet seen a photograph of the actual VIN on the vehicle.

Since this is not my truck, I do not want to list the guy's entire VIN. But it appears to be a 5-digit number with a 6-digit sequential number afterwards. It reads: 63H8F****** (I've substituted ****** for the last 6 numeric characters.)

Anybody else here have a similar number recorded on their Title?? Am I looking at a legitimate HMMWV or is this a scam-mobile?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

undysworld

Update. I have now seen a photo of the vehicle's VIN tag.
MFR'S. SERIAL NUMBER is ****** (6-digit numeric - I don't want to give out the actual numbers)
REGISTRATION NUMBER appears to be NG3H8F (may be NG3H8F)
NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER is 2320-01-146-7193
Can anyone confirm if this seems legitimate?
Thanks.
Paul

Mike82ndABN

Update. I have now seen a photo of the vehicle's VIN tag.
MFR'S. SERIAL NUMBER is ****** (6-digit numeric - I don't want to give out the actual numbers)
REGISTRATION NUMBER appears to be NG3H8F (may be NG3H8F)
NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER is 2320-01-146-7193
Can anyone confirm if this seems legitimate?
Thanks.
Paul
So they combined the last 5 of the NG3H8F with the 6 digit serial number, to make a longer VIN number.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
all states are different....I see it done both ways. And it can even vary from vin verifier to vin verifier.
if CHP don't like what they see....they give it a new number
jist did a build for a customer that had a new VIN assigned.

greenjeepster

That's crazy.^^
The state used the original 6 digit vin for mine.
The serial number doesn't corilate with anything in state dmv databases like Vin numbers do, so I would argue that it makes the most sense for the state's to assign new numbers that mean something in thier system.

DanM7890

The problem is the DMV's & License and theft officers don't know exactly how to handle registering HMMWV so that's where the different VIN's come from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks