• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HOW MANY DUECES HAVE CENTER MOUNTED TROOP SEATS???

saddamsnightmare

June 9th, 2008.

Gentlemen and Ladies:

HOW MANY of our members Deuces have the center mounted troop seats mounting hardware set ups???? I was looking through my TM20 & 30's and came across the "German" style of troop seat mountings as a special kit.... Swiss Unimogs have the same general system as our deuces, but the German Army Unimogs uses a very unweildy system chained down in the middle of the bed with the troops facing outwards......

Just Curious......

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm & Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp.M105A2 Cargo Trailler
1967 Hercules MEP023A gasoline generator
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 MB NATO green :beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest, I have seen hundreds of trucks, and I have never seen this setup installed. I know they are out there, but I doubt the MWO is common....

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only saw them once my time in the Army, it was in the back of a 5 ton, used for infil/exfils of Task Force Destroyer at NTC......

Alredneck

Banned
Redstone Arsenal has some 5 tons with center seats that face out but if I remember correctly they are more than likely homemade than Govt issue. They are used on their convoy live fire range.

saddamsnightmare

June 11th, 2008.

Thanks!!! I came across the item as a special kit listing in the -20 or -30 Parts book, and I was wondering if any had gotten out. You oughta check the German version for the Unimogs.....it is required to chain it down in addition to bolting down, a very cumbersome system, and the Swiss Unimogs use a demountable side seat system like ours.

Regards,

Kyle F. Mcgrogan

Boatcarpenter

I never saw a center mounted set of troop seats, but I did see a picture of a truck with the side racks installed so that the troop seats opened to the outside of the truck.
Probably a mistake or just didn't care.
BC

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was curious about the advantages of center seating for non-military personnel transport. I looked at the TB regarding the fabrication and installation of center facing troop seating into the deuce: TB 9-2320-209-30/4

If I am reading the TB correctly, there are base brackets serving as receivers to be bolted to the floor of the bed. If that is the case, I say the Unimog center troop seating design is superior. The Unimog has recessed and hardened holes in the bed for receiving the seats, leaving a clear bed when the seats are removed.

I believe If I were to build outward seating in the deuce, I would not duplicate TB 209-30/4. I would copy the receiver pockets as used in the 416 and 1300L Unimogs.

Opinions??

Rick

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw center seats installed once. I believe they were in a M923 at Graf. I was there for a pre-deployment convoy live-fire, but it didnt belong to my unit. I can't recall the unit the owned it, but I know those seats were installed for the reason stated above, to allow troops to fire out for convoy protection.

jasonjc

I never saw a center mounted set of troop seats, but I did see a picture of a truck with the side racks installed so that the troop seats opened to the outside of the truck.
Probably a mistake or just didn't care.
BC

We did that to one of our trucks that had the wood box built in back. With the seats out like that we could put all our packs and duffle bags on the seats.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hehehe, with that jacket and stonework, I'd say that ain't San Diego!

BTW, I'm a San Diego boy from 92107. I've been meaning to ask where are you based?

Rick

runk

Those from the GL auction in OK a while back ? Whole bunch of trucks like that, all looked like fresh rebuilds, went for lots of money...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks