• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many gallons per inch

crazywelder72

I just wondering if anyone has done the math to figure out how many gallons per inch these 50 gallon tanks are .

The math is easy but i am not sure if the 50 gallons is where the "do not fill above this line" is or is it the total volume of the tank.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GPI would change because of the rounded lower corners
Don't forget, you can't use the last couple inches, if your pump is mounted correctly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
231 cubic inches in a gallon. What is the tank inside width and length? 5 seconds with a calculator and we can see. As Ron pointed out, that bottom inch or two will be off because of the rounded edge. Now, just knowing how many gallons are left may leave you with a false sense of security. You need to measure how high the side screens on the pump are from the bottom of the tank so you can factor that in on fuel usage. Some pickups end up higher than others.

G-Force

You also have to subract the cubic inches that the fuel pump and the fuel gauge take up to get the true volume of the tank.......just splitting hairs here......or am I being anal.......

goldneagle

Couldn't you just measure a certain level and then add 5 gallons and see what the new measurement is?

You asked about gallons per inch so that would give a good indicator.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tank volume:

Volume in cu. inches = Length x Width x Height (all in inches)

Usable volume = Volume in cubic Inches - displacement of pump - space at bottom of tank that pump doesn't reach (all in cu. inches)

Convert cu. inches to gallons: cu. inches x 0.004329 = volume in gallons

weight of fuel in tank (diesel): 7.15 pounds / gallon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't make it any simpler. Multiply length X width. Divide total by 231 and get gallons per inch. Factor in the curved section at the bottom and top. Pump and sending unit displacement are negligible as are marks on a yardstick.

Simple example for the obtuse. I have a transfer tank that is 48" long and 24" wide. 48x24=1152. Divide 1152 by 231 you get 4.987 gallons per inch.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple answer, 3.33 gal/inch +/- a bit.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always fuel my deuces by the dipstick method anyway. When less than the bottom 8 inches gets wet, add fuel to within about two inches of the very top. Next time I fuel one, I'll check the number of notches (half inch apart) it goes up and look at the gallons pumped. Ought to be close.

Ridgerunner

I just wondering if anyone has done the math to figure out how many gallons per inch these 50 gallon tanks are.

I did.

I used a Deuce 50 gallon fuel tank, as a gravity feed fuel tank here on our farm. I use it to fill the small garden tractors, lawn mowers, chainsaws, log splitter, snow blower..... etc. It works great, instead of working from five gallon fuel cans. I have to fill it up about twice a year.

Any ways, back to your question. When I initially filled up the tank with gasoline (from empty) I marked it in 5-gallon increments, as I filled it up, at the gas station. I have a clear hose that comes out of the bottom (used to fill what I need to) that I can hold up to the gauge that I had marked on the side of the tank, so see how much fuel is left in the tank.

I can get you exact measurements if you like from the bottom of the tank to my marks.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it came to filling the tank, I always did this simple method. Tank fully, then drive 200 miles. Time for fuel. How much did I really need? Well, remember - DON'T TRUST THE FUEL GAUGE, they are 1940s technology and are rarely correct. I always figured 50 gallon tank in the deuce x 8 mpg is about 400 mile range, but the fuel pump doesn't go to the bottom of the tank, and if you hit a steep hill, the fuel sloshes to the back and you lose that much fuel due to the shape of the tank re: where the pump inlet pipe is.

So, easy way: tank up, drive 200 miles, pull over.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tank is 15" tall, and holds 50 gals. Simple math says 3.333333333 gallons/inch.

That should be close enough, unless you're anal.:doghead:

Last edited:

m816

All you brainiacs forget that if the truck is parked down hill you get a better reading. Sorry, I slep in this morning.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks