• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many M35A3's left in GL inventory?

Potluckslammy

Let me apologize right off the bat if I'm rehashing something that's been beat to death. I can't imagine someone hasn't asked already, but I tried the search function, and Goog isn't any help.
Missed last weeks round...there were trucks all over the place...I could kick myself for not paying attention. From what I've read, we should be coming to the very last of the bunch here pretty soon, and then I imagine prices are going to go through the roof. I've been stunned already by the asking prices in some of the truck and equipment traders, and various surplus websites! So...anybody have a guess...how many are left? And are there still maybe a few in the Middle East that haven't come home yet? Maybe just as important, what do we do when they're ALL gone...the A2's, A3's, all the five tons, the tractors? There are a finite amount available, so this isn't going to last forever, just like the "good old days" for the military firearms collectors. Will we have to wait another 30 years for the FMTV's to hit the market? Would anybody want one? How much will fuel cost then? What's the price of tea in China? Does anybody have the number for a good doctor? Lol!

Makincold

The hobby was ruined by the Internet, just like the rise in prices of machine guns I. He 90's, the more the people find out the lower h supply

AceHigh

Well, there were only 5000+ A3 models built. Wrecks, target practice, sales to foreign governments, fire departments and sheriff departments, yada yada yada

Not too many left. IMO

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hobby was ruined by the Internet, just like the rise in prices of machine guns I. He 90's, the more the people find out the lower h supply
i wouldn't say it was ruined it has just made it more avialable to more people

the federal govt is what made machine gun prices go up. They banned the manufacture of new MGs avialable to the public and thus limited supply.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
to answer the OP questions I would say maybe 1/2 of the A3's will make it out. That is my opinion and has no basis in fact other than my personal observations. I would say the end is nearing on the M44, 809 and M939 series trucks. The number of trucks at auction has dropped off. The fact that you see so many A3s on the block is a true sign that supply is getting short. The A3s were the last in so should be last out. i doubt you will see any of the newer armored cab stuff ever sold to the public.

However I do think it will be many more years before they are completly gone. You just wont see monthly auctions with 40 trucks . The 5th MOB stationed at Robins AFB in GA still has several of all types in there active motor pool.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way the surplus chain works is the equipment is first offered to other governments. If nobody else wants it, it ends up on GL. I can't imagine there could be many left. I highly doubt any trucks overseas will ever make it back home.

wiggall

While I had THE BEAUTIFUL BEAST at a local car show the guy right next to me had been in Vietnam> He said that last year he had went back, and saw a bunch of 2 1/2, 5 tons, tanks hueies, and plans in hangers there! Now we need to figure out how to inport them back here!:beer:

Potluckslammy

Unless one were to already have a nice collection, and a good stock of parts...and then they could just sit back and watch their assets appreciate. But in this case I imagine there wouldn't be much sitting around, not where there's driving, and wrenching, and....stuff...that needs doing! :p But for us new guys, well, it's a little disappointing.

@ papabear, how did you arrive at that figure? Are those actual trucks sitting on a lot somewhere, and if so, where? Or was that jovial sarcasm? Sorry, I'm new here, if I stick around long enough I'm sure I will catch on to everyone's individual character, and sense of humor.

@ m16ty, I believe you're right, it's much more economical to sell obsolete equipment over there...or even give it away...than it is to ship it all back, and try to get rid of it here. Sad.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Unless one were to already have a nice collection, and a good stock of parts...and then they could just sit back and watch their assets appreciate. But in this case I imagine there wouldn't be much sitting around, not where there's driving, and wrenching, and....stuff...that needs doing! :p But for us new guys, well, it's a little disappointing.

@ papabear, how did you arrive at that figure? Are those actual trucks sitting on a lot somewhere, and if so, where? Or was that jovial sarcasm? Sorry, I'm new here, if I stick around long enough I'm sure I will catch on to everyone's individual character, and sense of humor.

@ m16ty, I believe you're right, it's much more economical to sell obsolete equipment over there...or even give it away...than it is to ship it all back, and try to get rid of it here. Sad.
I apologize Sir.
It was a poor attempt at humor:oops::oops:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
While I had THE BEAUTIFUL BEAST at a local car show the guy right next to me had been in Vietnam> He said that last year he had went back, and saw a bunch of 2 1/2, 5 tons, tanks hueies, and plans in hangers there! Now we need to figure out how to inport them back here!:beer:
I figure that I saw NOTHING in that PISS hole of a country that makes me want to go back and see, let alone bring anything back, even MVs

F18hornetM

Well, there were only 5000+ A3 models built. Wrecks, target practice, sales to foreign governments, fire departments and sheriff departments, yada yada yada

Not too many left. IMO
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought I read somewhere, that they took 3- servicable A2's and made 2- A3's out of them. If thats true , they used up a whole lotta A2's..

Potluckslammy

I apologize Sir.
It was a poor attempt at humor:oops::oops:
No apology necessary.

@F18hornetM, I read that also, just yesterday in fact. I can't imagine what extra parts they needed from that third one. If you think about it, there were lots of cabs, hoods, axles, and multifuel engines that had to hit the market at some point. I wonder if they sold them to Vietnam for spares? :)

F18hornetM

Now that I think about it, When I bought this truck, I also got an extra cab, Engine, trans and transfer case. I gotta go pick it up, but I bet thats where it came from..I was just figuring it was a wreck or salvage unit. But could very well have been from a unit that was made into an A3.

JeepMan

As with the -A2's. My thinking is they'll get the ones on active duty out of the system first then start emptying out the depots of all the NEW ones that were never issued.
(Or is it just a nice dream to get a NEW -A2/3 that has zero miles/hours on the meters with all new canvas/tools still in thier wrappings in the back/tool box) ---

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks