• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many members are running on MEP generated power right now..?

RichWood

While I was fine in Maryland, I took my MEP-701A up to my sister's place in North Jersey on Thursday. She ran for 3 days on it without a hint of trouble. I got there in the nick of time as the last of her ice had run out and the goods in the coolers were being reviewed and some tossed.

We have to meet up and swap vehicles since I left my pickup there with the unit in the back along with 25 gallons of off-road diesel. I'm waiting to get it back, review the hours and fuel used and see how it did.

I was glad to help her out but also glad to put some time on it to see how it did. I had just gotten it and did a quick write up here about the repair process.

Isaac-1

You should not use copper tubing with diesel, the diesel will react with the copper and thicken. There is a lot of information about this online, google it.

Ike

I loved the auxiliary fuel pump on my 03. hooked up to the 275 oil storage tank in cellar, with 3/8 copper tube and extra spin on oil filter, full of fuel, never had to worry about day tank going dry, as sensor maintains 3/4 tank consistently. low rpm almost lulls you to sleep at night, as opposed to the screamin' 3600 rpm gas jobs. MEP, what a great machine. not as worried about inevitable next power outage.

Corvette1974

The electrician came out on thursday and installed all of the transfer switch stuff to make our MEP-003 able to power the whole house (which is the nicest electrical work ive ever seen). Been running it every day since. Pretty flawless. It pulled 110% and more load for various amounts of time no issue (it sounds NASTY) under load. The only issues we discovered (this was the first time run under load) were one of the mufflers which was already cracked gave way, so I had to reweld the flange back on (nicer than factory, I'm going to supplement the other one soon) and the starter interlock switch I think needs to be adjusted because sometimes the starter just grinds a few times and then you let off and itll work.

Either way MEP power is the way to go, it worked like a beast and had no real issues.

Will

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Will, If the starter sometimes grinds immediately instead of cranking the engine, I'd think the problem would likely be the Bendix drive in the starter. They don't usually do that very many times before they quit altogether. It's not hard to change those in the direct drive starters. I don't have any experience with the gear reduction type, but I changed one in the gear reduction starter in my Dodge van, and swore I'd never do that again.

Harleyd315

Been on MEP power since 10/29 at around 9pm. Had one rebuilt 94 hour 003 that quit after 20 hours. Then ran 005 for a day or 2. I have moved 003's and 005's around town to different shelters all week. And now this morning going to start an 005 at the church so people can vote. Power company still thinks were about 4 to 5 days before we get power back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks