• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many miles can an M35A3 log?

Rebar

Three questions:

How many miles do you have on your M35A3?

Most miles on an M35A3 that you have ever heard of?

What were the design specs for the service life of the M35A3?

Thanks. I love this site.

Rebar

123mack

One of our club members did the MVPA Alaska highway convoy this past summer in a M35A3. Total round trip south Alabama to Alaska and back a little over 12,000 miles

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Far enough to make it to the nearest scrap yard.

Just kidding, I like ribbing A3 guys.

Like others have said, a big part of it is how you treat it and how you maintain it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3s were built out of A2 trucks back in the early 1990s. The odometer might have only 1400 miles on it, but trust me those frames have a LOT more miles, maybe a couple hundred thousand on them, as they have been through rebuilds many times before. Ask jatonka, he'll tell you how many times these trucks had been "renewed".

jaymcb

I won't disagree with you, and know about the ESP, but mine has a relatively high serial number in the run, and Carnac has placed serial numbers around it as built in 1998, even if my exact one wasn't pinned down exactly. The drivetrain at least has few miles on it, even if the rest of it has more. The paper labels were still stuck to the motor when I picked it up. I just wish I had more time to drive it.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engines and other major components could have been replaced while in service with little to no record keeping. Trucks didnt have to go through a complete depot rebuild to receive a new engine. It could have 1400 miles on it but have gone through two engines. Unlikely, but possible.
The A3s I've seen in service were always driven with the drivers foot to the floor. In Germany on the Autobahn that Cat was screaming for hours on end. Our trucks always seemed to make it to where we were going, but I recall we sent them to 3rd shop for new engines more than once.
Bottom line is you only know how many miles are on your truck and what kind of life it has lived after you took ownership.

Last edited:

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cat engines are good for about 3500 miles between rebuilds..oh wait, there throw away engines..
I'm joking..just picking on all you a3 owners.
With your fancy auto trans and air assist steering.

motomacguyver

Cat's design lifetime on these engines is stated to be 10,000 to 15,000 hours. So to be conservative, at 30 M.P.H. And 10k hours, = 300,000 miles. At 40 M.P.H and 15,000 hours = 600,000 miles. I have heard of the engine going 500,000 mi. in non-military applications. For comparison a typical car is designed for a 2000 hour life time. This would be 120,000 miles at 60 M.P.H. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks