• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many Multifuels have been ruined because...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With my Waterloo OD 5th the shift 4-5 is similar to 3-4. There is a significant rpm drop.
It is not "bad" or difficult, but with the limited amount of gears the truck has, "winding it up" to 2400 or so makes for a good shift. It is not so important on level roads, because the LDS pulls right out of slight "lugging", but on uphill stretches it wants to see rpm.
I shift it with the transfer case when I am heavier (or bored), so I get 7 gears out of it. The payoff of the OD is that I can cruise at 2000-2200 rpm all day long.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea if your not worried about picking up road speed fast then the lower gears could be shifted at a lower rpm. Yes the HP and TQ meet there at 1850/1900 but if you want more road speed out of any gear the rpm must be carried higher. As someone said before the upper gears might need more rpm so the next higher gear does not drop the rpm to low. If I need to get the road speed up fast like getting on a high speed limit road or highway then I shift just a hair before the governor every gear. Myself if I am going to be afraid to bump the governor sometimes or worried about the engine on any diesel truck then I will plant flowers in the bed and park it in the front yard. I don't use first low in less I am off road sitting in very soft ground. I don't use the transfer case trying to what some call splitting gears. It's hard on the transfer case. Low range off road high range on road. Most of the time I start in second low then second high and finish off the rest in high. I do this with the Deuce or one of my 5 tons and with the M816 if I don't shift close to the governor she will fall on her face.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With my Waterloo OD 5th the shift 4-5 is similar to 3-4. There is a significant rpm drop.
It is not "bad" or difficult, but with the limited amount of gears the truck has, "winding it up" to 2400 or so makes for a good shift. It is not so important on level roads, because the LDS pulls right out of slight "lugging", but on uphill stretches it wants to see rpm.
I shift it with the transfer case when I am heavier (or bored), so I get 7 gears out of it. The payoff of the OD is that I can cruise at 2000-2200 rpm all day long.
I had considered the Waterloo kit, but I drive mountain passes several times a year to attend shooting matches. As-is with 46" tires, the truck most often will maintain 55-58 mph in 5th @ 2200-2300 rpm, EGT's just touching 1200, going up a 6% grade... barely, but it'll do it. The Waterloo kit would make 5th of no use climbing those hills, and I'd be working the truck more than I want to in 4th gear to maintain 50mph @ 2500rpm. Also, the Michelin XZL's are only rated to 55 mph (2200 rpm on my tach).

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you guys have me thinking about getting a winter hood blanket here in AZ!
This is what I do to get the op temp up and keep it there...

When I start-up/leave home for the first time, the radiator is completely blocked with various Coroplast panels;
IMG_20180530_112602789.jpg
Once the op temp gets to 180, and if I believe it's going to climb beyond 190...
8" circle, located directly inline with the fan, gets removed.
IMG_20180530_112645449.jpg
If I don't believe just the circle will be enough, then the center section will be removed. This exposes my entire AC condensor, and the area of radiator behind it;
IMG_20180530_112718589.jpg
If I believe the op temp will still climb higher due to air temp or load, the top and bottom sections come out to expose the entire radiator;
IMG_20180530_112813439_HDR.jpg
When I shut down for the day, all the panels go back in. I don't mind removing/adding panels. It's worked very well, and I've gotten pretty savvy to how many panels need to come out/stay in for given conditions. Without the panels I'd be in the "thermostat never opens/rarely gets above 160*" boat. I could make some kind of block to go over the grille, but I REALLY like the looks of the grille and don't want to hide it. Maybe I'll do some kind of clutch/electric fan set up someday... kinda doubt it though.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

yes I do tend to drive 'low and slow'..but Is 40mph all that slow with the types of roads we have over here?....And..All them " Roundabouts"!//Doughnuts to you¬.
You know what?, I think I will drive the M45 Saturday and have the lad take a video.
So have a butchers (Look) at it when posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks