• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many need a Detroit locker for LMTV ?

ramdough

I just purchased the locker from Steve6x6x6 and installed it (in the rear axle) along with the gear change to the 3.07 ring and pinion. I plan to do a write up soon. But after the install I took it for a test drive and absolutely love the gear change it drives completely different my take is that it drives more like a standard truck now. It also lowered the in cab noise level considerable. Imagine driving your LMTV with the pedal to the floor at 58mph and how load it is now drive it at 45mph the in cab noise is very manageable, well thats what it sounds like a 60mph now, less engine noise, less gear noise all adds up. As an avid Jeep rock crawler for 20 years I've used and installed about every type of locker and prefer the selectable lockers, I'm currently running ARB air lockers front and rear in the jeep and love them. Unfortunately thats not an option for us. Funny part is that after I was done test driving it I was so excited about how it drives I didn't even notice the rear locker, primarily because it didn't make any noise or cause it to drive any different. The second test drive for the locker went great, before a small 1 foot obstacle at a slow speed under one tire would cause cause it to stop and spin a tire or two. Now that is clearly not a problem and will now go through areas that I was scared to even consider going through because of the off camber situations that would cause it it to get stuck. the locker is a must do for any one planning to go off roading by them self.
Kieth,

Any updates on your locker? Still loving it? Have you found a downside or even noticed it on road or in tight corners?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my LMTV, so just now exploring old threads. I am very much interested in locking both ends. I did that with the CUCV Blazer= all the difference in the world. Will have to sell the Blazer to buy the axles, I reckon :)

coachgeo

There is no selectable locker available for the front axle. Most do not recommend putting Detroit type in a front axle.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, coach, that there is a technique to driving with the front locked. A little blip of the throttle lines everything up on the Blazer ok. I'll have to learn more about the LMTV drive system.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6x6 trucks have Lockers installed in one rear diff. or both rear diff's with no problems. As for the steer axle there has not been a volunteer yet.

coachgeo

I agree, coach, that there is a technique to driving with the front locked. A little blip of the throttle lines everything up on the Blazer ok. I'll have to learn more about the LMTV drive system.
being that your from AZ Im guessing you have not driven that configuration in much snow?

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I do snow and ice almost half the year I really wanted a selectable locker but after a year of driving the thing in all conditions. I don't know if it is really necessary at all some screw in loader studs in my 395's would probably get me better performance and handling.

coachgeo

I do snow and ice almost half the year I really wanted a selectable locker but after a year of driving the thing in all conditions. I don't know if it is really necessary at all some screw in loader studs in my 395's would probably get me better performance and handling.
did you go with a rear locker?

snowtrac nome

I was considering it but between suspension flex and the good year mvt's I have found no need for a traction aid. if its slick enough that the tires cant bite a traction aid isn't going to help anyway. I would still like a selectable locker like an arb, but I have no desire to mess up the way this truck handles on ice and snow twice last year some screw in loader studs would have helped but again a set of diamond pattern chains would have been just as effective.

wildmansam

Anyway someone can get me contact info for Bryce W. that’s not Facebook oriented. I don’t have a Facebook account. I don’t do the social media. And I don’t care to open an account. Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks