• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many of these have you seen

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
It's not a motorcycle but I understand they turn well. Top speed is only about 44 mph.
I got a chance to ride one when stationed in Germany while its owner rode my Ardie w/mortar launcher. In my experience, they don't turn worth a hoot! Too quick and jerky. They feel like a top-heavy trike that's threatening to turn over in every corner. They dont, actually...just feel like they're about to.

Wolf.Dose

In the video the Kettenkrad are of those of the early versions. The side rails beside the rear seats are still open. They founf out in the service, that these openings let the big coats fly through these openings and get in the tracks which caused severe injuries to the passengers.
The engine is a 1.6 l Opel engine with 36 HP, has a three speed transmission with reduction, so in total 6 useable gears. Maximum speed is about 70 kph or 44 mph, which by that time was quit fast. Weight is about 1200 kg. Steering is for the first 7° with the front wheel, then the differential brakes get active in the Cletrac differential. These brake slow down the steered to side and accalerate the other side. So the mean speed remains unchanged.
Normally you do not need the front wheel (There are fotos from Africa of Kettenkrad without front wheel running in service). However, without front wheel braking is dangerous (danger of tip over) as well as Off Road driving in severe terrain.
I restored one in 1984/85. And for an other one I did a full service, which means to change all oils (engine is a little tricky, as well as the transmission. Front Cletrac drive has a plug in the hull to drain the oil), regrease the tracks, which means you have to take out a M6 bolt out of the track link, fit a grease fitting to it, grease it, take the fitting out, reinstall the bolt. This 86 times. It needs about 20 kg of grease.
In the early 80's we had about 16 of then in Sinsheim in the museum, out of which about 10 were in running condition. And the standard vehicle to buy the breakfast was the Kettenkrad.
Road legal in Germany is not so big a problem. It is a tractor. Tracks with rubber cussions. No problem. And the legal requirements of 1940 are the same for these vehicles as nowadays.
However, using a Kettenkrad on the road is, as said above, not very good for the track rubbers and makes some damage to the suspension, too. It is an Off Road vehicle.
I drove several of them, also one in Japan out of the two existing there.
Nowadays exsisting Kettenkrad are mainly fron the production between 1945 and 1949. Only a very small number is realy from the WWII. To identyfy these is from the front fork and some other details.
Wolf
P.S.: A friend of mine had four of them for his father used then in his vinery as a tractor. Sorry, he passed away about 6 years ago.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks