• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many of you use your cucv's everyday ?

Adam86CUCV

Mine has become my daily driver to work for about a month now since I have the wifes car in pieces in the garage. It been running great getting 16-17mpg 22miles each way.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive my M1009 at least 2-3 times per week to work. It's a 14 mile round trip, and a tank of diesel lasts me a long time.

Barrman

Every day here as well. One of the M1009's or the former USAF 6.2 Suburban. Maybe one or two days a month something else gets driven to work.

BostonPatriot28

I drive my M1009 daily, I just drove it to Portland Maine a few weeks ago put over 7k miles on in less then 4 weeks! I use it for work @ 55 mph it gets 25 mpg @ 27 gallons its well over 600 miles. Ive only rebuilt the transmission, emergency brake, rear shoes & batteries (both) ive owned it since february 2014 got it with 29k

EDIT to add: I've also done two max-effort stops that have taken several months off my life expectancy. I'm talkin' the whole squeal-&-smoke show kind of stops. Really, how much SA does it take to realize that it isn't a good idea to jump in front of a 6K pound truck that was made before anti-skid braking?
I am probably the reverse of many; I primarily use my 1031 whenever there is snow on the ground. I live on a dirt/gravel road that does not get cleared when it snows. Every winter it insures that we can get out and get what we need. I will admit that I drive very carefully once I get to the cleared/icy roads. It is 10 miles to the nearest resupply points so my CUCV is indispensable in the winter.

Gonzomatic

15 minutes to work everyday and any trip to and around town. I've only put around 8000 miles on her in the past few years, but given the option the 1008 comes with me over the Subaru or the VW. The sound alone makes it all worthwhile.don't know why the pictures come in upside down. Just roll your monitor over 180*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nyoffroad

20 miles round trip 5 days a week and on most weekend I run down to the camp and thats 100 each way. Hardly ever have a problem with it or any of the 6.2 powered trucks I've had in the past.
Come to think of it the only on the road problems I've had was torque converter bolts loosened up on a trip and messed up the threads so I tightened them to the point were it would slip loose again and had a helpful mechanic spot weld them in place to get me home. Two years later I got around to fixing it!

forest522

I drive her to work once in awhile - 28 miles round trip, on I-25 for most of it. In the evenings after work, she often runs the kids to their activities...to the hardware store on errands every weekend and on longer trips around NM for camping once a month. Love it. And like many here, I rely on this site as well as some other diesel sites to keep her going.

cucvrus

I have 5 in use on a daily basis. All are bone stock every part except the paint on 2 of them. One 1984 M1009 has not seen a road in 16 years. It has 103,000 miles on it and 58,000 have been on dirt / stone /snow covered ground. We use it on a 53 acre truck plant. We use it for pushing, pulling, plowing and general purpose use. It has original electrical system top to bottom. It is driven 7 days a week and has multiple drivers. A few issues with flat tires but other then that it starts in all weather on the OEM GP and direct drive OEM starter. I put 1 injection pump in it about 5 years ago and check the oil daily and change it every month. The trans split during a bad noreaster in 2001 and had to be gone over. Amazingly it still drove and only leaked a small amount. It was when the reverse gave out that it finally needed to have attention. I drive a 1986 M1008 daily 5 days a week for a company truck and plow and pull 40 yard steel and trash dumpsters around the yard. Same issues it eats Goodyear tires and has had the trans gone over 1 time in it 11 year tenure on the job. This one does go on the road. Everything electrical sytem and all is stock OEM. Never changed a thing except color. It is Red now with civi chrome bumper and grille trim. Looks more business like this way when visiting clients. I have a M1028A2 dually with a flat bed and plow. Mainly sits parked with a stainless salt spreader and plow on it at all times. I have seceral M1009 Blazers in the stable that I drive and change out when ever the mood hits. I have a 1984 M1009 Blazer in the barn partially assembled / disassembled with 13,000 original miles on it. It needs new paint but other then that it is rust free and running. I will get to that one day. And yes they are excellent vehicles and I never have the issues that I read on this site about them. Take care of them and keep them repaired and maintained and I am a true beleiver that they can last almost forever. Fix every issue as it arises and don't let them sit with dead batteries and undriven. Rust never sleeps and must be addressed immediately. Autozone has almost every part I ever need.

Swamp Rooster

I am glad I am not crazy for planning to use mine everyday for my logging business.I do not drive real fast and generally am pulling a couple of 2000lb horses everywhere I go. I looked at my truck before it was mine ,looked at how heavy built it was, how clean the motor was ( 41,000 miles on it ) , and thought for the price how could I go wrong.. I do wonder how it will be in the winter on bad roads but I guess I will just load it supper heavy and take it easy on bad days . Swamp Rooster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks