• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many people have bought a non runner?

scottreb

Im just curious. How many of you have purchased a would no start FMTV? It seems there are a lot of no battery otherwise looking great trucks on GP. Just like to know what you have done to get running again. It seems the few stories I have read were pretty simple fixes, no fluids, no batteries, etc.

I understand buying any vehicle sight unseen is a crapshoot, let alone a non runner.

Lmtv772

Banned
Many trucks are runners until they get 'stored' and the batteries die out.
But that is not the reason why they got stored in the first place. Finding lose bolts and things laying around in the trucked is usually a good indication as to trying to find out a repair history.
As far as draining of the fluids is concerned, that part is up to the places discretion, where the truck is 'stored'. Sometimes they take short cuts and drill holes or cut hoses to drain the fluids.

So the truck being a non runner is part of the mystery that is associated with buying a truck at the auction site. But it'll all add to the excitement of receiving the truck from the transport company , doesn't it? :D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a non-runner out of Ft Polk. Only serious issue was the transmission ECU. Once that was replaced everything else was pretty much cosmetic. It appears that once the ECU went out they started using it as a parts truck and stole a piece here and there but all minor fixes.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was a non runner. This was back when GL was selling them. Took 5 gal of diesel and a slave start to get her running and driving.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Certain sites have more time tools and effort to put into getting a truck running. Other small sites if they press start and it does then its a runner, no go then non runner it is. But its always a gamble with a non running truck.

scottreb

Thanks for the input. Seems the last few weeks prices are up a bit, makes taking a chance seem easier. Just gotta get my Tundra sold and see what happens.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input. Seems the last few weeks prices are up a bit, makes taking a chance seem easier. Just gotta get my Tundra sold and see what happens.
GP may do a better inspection than GL did , but don't count on it . There is always the chance of a hole in the block or worst.
Here is a good thread by Warthog on buying a site unseen deuce when they were cheap , I'm sure things are still the same.
[h=1]So you want a cheap GL Deuce....[/h]

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A nonrunner throws everything downstream into question. If it doesn't run, you have no idea what condition the transfer, transmission, brakes, or anything else unable to be tested without running....

It's a complete shot in the dark.

That being said, I routinely buy nonrunners.... (but not an lmtv yet)

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i bought one, accidentally that is, didn't read all the print. Was missing the starter relay in the dash. Also one bad brake check-valve, so i couldn't release the park brakes, broken air dryer, and finally a bad alternator.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I speak with a lot of lmtv owners. Both non and ss members. (I always recommend they become members) My phone rings all day long with lmtv questions. For the most part, the non runners just need a little tlc and few parts here or there. Like above. Once you work out a few kinks you are rewarded with a nice truck. I did have one that was fork lifted and that was not shown in the listing but GP make it right. LMTVs really don't come back from fork lifting the driveline is very sensitive to imbalance or other issues. Don't buy a forklifted truck and expect it to be more than a parts truck. If you look at GP auction pics and the steering link is bent up, chances are it's been forklifted.

scottmandu

Every truck I bought have been a non runner. One fired right up and drove on the trailer once it was jumped, another needed batteries and alot of cosmetics. My winch truck ran once it had new batts, but won't charge or go into reverse :(.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1090 was a non-runner. Starter relay was missing. $6 later and a charge on the batteries and the truck started right up. Truck was probably parked for an air leak through the front glad hand when the brakes were applied. Standard TM troubleshooting didn't fix it, so the truck was parked. $10 for a new diaphragm and that problem was fixed too.

scottreb

Good to hear these stories. Especially the tip on the steering and fork lifted.

When you say fork lifted does that mean they were lifted or moved with a fork lift? Trying to visualize what your describing.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear these stories. Especially the tip on the steering and fork lifted.

When you say fork lifted does that mean they were lifted or moved with a fork lift? Trying to visualize what your describing.
That's generally the idea. They don't do it gently and once they've hit a drive shaft it's usually toast. And often when they take out a drive shaft they take out (at least on CUCVs and deuces) the transfer case as well - had a couple of those. So stay away from trucks that show any dents in the pics of the drive shaft or you'll wind up forked.