• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many quarts of DOT 5?

Westex

I've read what posts I could find and want to go to DOT 5 brake fluid in my deuce. Anyone know what the system capacity is of the entire brake system. I want to get all of whatever is in there out.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure of the actual capacity but when I flushed and bled my system I used two quarts.

ctmustang

If you're going to flush the system I'd guess at 3 qts. because that's what it took me to get the good purple color and then some extra for good measure at all the bleeders.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read what posts I could find and want to go to DOT 5 brake fluid in my deuce. Anyone know what the system capacity is of the entire brake system. I want to get all of whatever is in there out.
If you have not yet done so, now would be a really good time for changing out wheel cylinders, flex hoses, a hydraulic brake light switch, overhaul the MC.....

It is so disheartening to watch DOT5 drip out of your system, at 10 cents a drop, when you have to tear into the brake system again, just after you changed fluid.

Yes, about three quarts are needed. I know, because I only had two, the first time I did it.

If you currently run DOT3, many say that you should just stick with it; change it regularly, but no need to switch.

DOT3 and 5 mixed make an awful sludge, so you need to really flush the system. Some use alcohol to flush the lines through, before refilling with DOT5.

Westex

Very good...I appreciate all of this advice. Problem is I don't know what's in there, and I've even performed the eyedropper in the water test, and believe it or not, the results were inconclusive. I just don't know what's in there and want to get it out. The brakes have worked good so far, but I take no chances. So off I go to buy two more quarts of DOT 5.

Jake0147

I switched to DOT 3 for a multitude of reasons, a couple mechanically sound, a couple more mechanically irrelevant, and just plain old preference. The first "flush" took well over a gallon before I stopped seeing droplets of water and wet rusty sludge. The second "I don't wanna look at the wheel cylinders" last ditch effort to flush it clean took just a smidge under two quarts to get new fluid everywhere. (And while the second flush revealed no new "chunkies" in there, it did not aleviate the pit in my stomach... There's only one cure for that and if you've read related posts, you already know what it is.).
So IMHO two quarts is safe, but I would IDENTIFY what's in it beyond any doubt first, and second I'd pump a squirt or two out of each wheel, with a clear tube to see it well, and see what you're getting into before putting new (expensive) DOT 5 into the system. As mentioned above, it's good stuff to use but it's a shame to waste it at the price it goes for.

Barrman

1 quart will take a completly dry system to fully bled and full. Using a pressure bleeder that is and not much bled out because I started at the right rear rear.

I would suggest flushing with alcohal. The suggestion above to redo or replace everything is actually the best advice.

BFS is cheaper by the gallon, so buy one or two, switch over and have enough left over to take care of it for a decade or so.

ranchand

Jake, I believe you are supposed to use dot 5 because dot3 will eat up all the seals used in the deuce. Someone correct me if I am wrong:|

Westex

I went ahead and did it yesterday, on Sunday. Kind of a dirty experience but got it done. Pedal pressure is slightly better. I figured out that I had air in the left rear rear. Was just a bubble and found the bleeder fitting to be too loose which is probably what caused it. All is well now, but I am about $80.00 lighter. And get this---as far as I know all DOT 5 currently sold is died a kind of purplish blue--a light violet. Well, two of the UNOPENED containers of DOT 5 were yellow. I'm going to do a test tonight to see what the stuff is, but the moral of the story is LOOK before you pour in today's world!

roady

I am in the middle of rebuilding my air packs and was going to switch to Dot3 instead of Dot5. So is there a problem doing that ? I understand I need to flush everything out and make sure everything is clean. I dont want to ruin any of the rubber seals though.

Westex

I am in the middle of rebuilding my air packs and was going to switch to Dot3 instead of Dot5. So is there a problem doing that ? I understand I need to flush everything out and make sure everything is clean. I dont want to ruin any of the rubber seals though.
You need to search for any decal, engine compartment, dash, or otherwise and make sure your truck was not converted by the military over to DOT5. If you find such a decal, then it was converted to DOT5, and you should use same. The two are not compatible. DOT3 will absorb moisture; DOT5 will not. DOT5 has a much higher operating temp., (in general), and there is one other variation I can't remember at the moment. However, and this is important, the two are NOT compatible. You cannot mix them. That's why I flushed the $h!t out of my system yesterday to the point of overkill. There is a test you can perform to determine what you have; generally, a silicone based brake fluid will 'layer up' when mixed with water in a glass jar. DOT3 will tend to 'murk up' when mixed with water in a glass jar. Lastly, if you want to run DOT3, it is generally good for up to about 4 years in an automobile with no water in the lines, but should be bled at that point technically. DOT5 offers better lubricity, but is WAY expensive. I hope this helps.

stumps

Probably too late to help you, but places like Spruce Mountain surplus have fresh DOT5 for $40 per gallon delivered.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks