• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many times have you guys rebuilt your CUCV starter?

math1960

I had mine rebuilt by a very competent shop (and expensive of course!), two years ago and it's starting to go out again. I have put a very few miles on it, no hard usage, and here we are again! What would cause a starter to keep going out?

Thanks,

Wally

Hasdrubal

First starter rebuild on my 27MT DD was 2007, new bendix, brushes and bushings. Did it myself for about $40.00 in parts. Just rebuilt it again in 2013, it was starting to crank slower, brushes were good, bushings were worn, particularly the nose bushing was almost worn right through to the aluminum casting. Replaced everything again. Must be easily over 6000 start cycles between rebuilds.

Yes, what do you mean by "going out"?

math1960

Slow hard, cranking on a rebuilt starter with less than two thousand miles since rebuild. Just a general question, I'll have a buddy that does this sort of thing look at it when he returns home. BUT COME ON, less than two thousand miles! For christ sake no other truck or car I have ever owned was this unreliable.

Barrman

How long do you use the starter for each start up? If you engine and glow plug system is in good tune, 1/2-1 second is about all it will get used.

If you have to crank 5-20 seconds everyday for starting, the starter will not last very long.