• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much Amperage/voltage goes through the master switch?

PsycoBob

On my '53 M109, the lighting & heater are not run through the master switch. Fuel pump, low-air buzzer, alternator & starter are switched. 5-tons use a big relay in the black control box to actually disable everything, rather than melt the dash switch.

If your start circuit is wired correctly, the master switch supplies power to the pushbutton to trip the relay (solenoid) on the side of the engine. That relay then powers the solenoid on the starter to both mechanically engage the starter & supply full power to the starter. The engine-mounted relay is always hot & is intended to protect that little pushbutton from trying to power the starter's solenoid.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I need to make a correction to my post on the load connections to the ignition switch. I tried to recall them without consulting the schematic, bad idea, the memory isn't what it used to be. One pole of the switch controls the following items: low air buzzer, front wheel drive switch, gauges, magnetic start relay, and fuel pump. The other pole controls the excitation of the alternator and the manifold heater.

TehTDK

I just wish I could find some pictures of the back of the Master switch, ie how many poles it got etc. But am I correct in assuming it is a "simple" on/off switch that just breaks/closes a circuit or is the master switch more "complicated" then that?

steelandcanvas

It has 2 poles, I have referenced that several times in my posts. The drawing shows the poles and what they control. Yes, it is just a simple on/off switch, it is no more complicated than that.

Edit: Keep us posted with your progress on this project, I'm sure others would be interested in it.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I just wish I could find some pictures of the back of the Master switch, ie how many poles it got etc. But am I correct in assuming it is a "simple" on/off switch that just breaks/closes a circuit or is the master switch more "complicated" then that?
Bring us up to date, how are you doing with your ignition switch project?

TehTDK

Steelandcanvas:

Sadly I dont have a truck yet. Being in europe they are actually not the easiest to come by so I am really just planning ahead. And well shipping one over isn't going to be a sound finansial choice as far as I see it, since I assume it cant really fit in a regular shipping container.

EDIT:
I went with this one to "take over" from the master switch: http://elcodis.com/parts/2250106/DSL-6-A-D.html I just hope it actually has all the poles it needs, because its rated for 80Amps

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steelandcanvas:

Sadly I dont have a truck yet. Being in europe they are actually not the easiest to come by so I am really just planning ahead. And well shipping one over isn't going to be a sound finansial choice as far as I see it, since I assume it cant really fit in a regular shipping container.
Since you are still looking for a truck , the best thing you can do go to the deuce form and start reading random threads. It will provide you with a vast knowledge of the deuce for when you find one you might think suits your needs . The more you read and learn , the suprises you will encounter. Most any questions you have about the deuce have been covered on this forum. So the more you use the search feature the easier it will become and even if the first few threads don't answer your question , you will gain information that will come in handy at some point .

TehTDK

Porky:

Thanks for the suggestion and that is actually what I have been doing. Reading some of the thread in the Deuce and Deuce modding forums and reading up some of the issues others might be having or is experiencing so that I can learn from them and hopefully avoid that pitfall myself once I get one of them. I prefer to be prepared so I know what to look for etc so I dont end up buying the proverbial "cat in the sack".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks