• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much can a Humvee push?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhdontcare

Hey Guys - I'm a newb on here who was going to purchase an m998 & the deal ended up falling apart. I'm now purchasing a nice 6.2L one from a guy on these forums! Anyway, I live in a new development & I've befriended the foreman & crew over the last year. I want to take my new humvee (w/ the appropriate heavy duty bumper..) & push their construction dumpster down the road each night. In addition, I tend to be "that guy" who does crap like this on the regular...So in general I'm curious

How much can a Humvee push? Or is this not advisable.

DLJIII

I would try pull more than I pushed with it. As far as an exact number, I have no idea. I have pulled full sizes school buses and up rooted damaged trees from the ground. I have not tried to push hardly just a few stalled vehicle stuck directly on the roadways. I have reached the conclusion these rigs can pull just about anything.

Victorkilo31

I'm not sure if I'd try to move a construction dumpster with one unless it was a smaller one that wasn't very full. I know I used to pull 2 tailers loaded with about 12k pounds on a flightline area, but I think they pull trailers easier than a dumpster would be. But I would probably try pulling than pushing it as well

DatGuyC

The amount a HMMWV will push is directly proportional to how deep your wallet is. Don't want to spend any money fixing your truck, don't push stuff.

Awol

You'll only know what it'll do if you try it once.

I'd think it be fine, unless there's a ton of weight in the dumpster.

snowtrac nome

I once pushed a baby ranger out of the way with one after it hit me head on, did have to repair the hood afterward ,but I did drive it back to the motor pool. the ranger owner wasn't so lucky

DanM7890

I needed to move my shed that I built 5-6 feet back. It weighs around 4-5000lbs so I would start on one side then went to the other. It worked great!

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That seems like a lot of work daily... you could be driving it or showing it or taking it off road:eek: Anyways you want to pull the trailer. Construction dumpsters are tall and heavy you will not be able to see where its going... or who your killing...Honestly if you push it there is no way of stopping it if on a slope of any kind.. maybe pull it if you really have to man

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't it push as much as it can pull?
The limit isn't the driveline. The limit will be the amount of force it takes to permanently deform whichever part comes in contact for pushing.

When towing, we already have numbers for what the tow point will tolerate.

Pushing is going to be a one off, depending on surface area in contact, and sliding friction between the object pushed and the ground.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
and there was a thread started for this as to the reason he wants to use is hmmwv? Seriously? I am hoping for a busted radiator in the first 30 seconds. Just my thought on it. Hmmwv people I swear. You want to move a dumpster you drag it. you don't push it. Drag it and im hoping for a torn off rear of the truck.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I draw the same conclusions you guys do....

I'm under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that Nomadic is inexperienced. My point was "these are the factors that need to be considered when contemplating something like this.." My goal was to teach thought process...

Nomadic

Hey, I draw the same conclusions you guys do....

I'm under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that Nomadic is inexperienced. My point was "these are the factors that need to be considered when contemplating something like this.." My goal was to teach thought process...
Inexperience in what? Are you are experienced in jumping to conclusions? It can push as much as it will pull. It wasn't said what would be mounted up front to handle the load dispersing the weight to the frame.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense was intended.

Jumping to conclusions = forming opinions based on incomplete information = simply the nature of the internet, because information is particularly limited.

I still don't think it'll push as much as it'll pull. Compression is different than tension. Assuming an interface that transfers force to the frame, you'll damage by pushing at a lower force than you'll damage by pulling.

To illustrate my point, look at pickup trucks where the hitch has been overloaded - you'll notice they're bent forward. This happens when braking. Braking is essentially pushing on the load to slow it.

I've done some pushing with a 1ton pickup. 16,000lbs caused some serious problems, even though I've pulled 30k+ without any problems.

Granted, I've done exactly zero pushing with a hmmwv. The reason is that it is so obviously a bad idea....

If I had to move something heavy with a hmmwv, I'd want to pull it. I'd want heavy chains connected at a low point on the load so that the load would increase traction to the tow vehicle while at the same time applying a lifting vector to the pulled load. I'd want a surface that provided only limited sliding friction. Sand or gravel lightly scattered on a smooth concrete surface goes a long way towards making it easier to slide.

Nomadic

No offense was intended.

Jumping to conclusions = forming opinions based on incomplete information = simply the nature of the internet, because information is particularly limited.

I still don't think it'll push as much as it'll pull. Compression is different than tension. Assuming an interface that transfers force to the frame, you'll damage by pushing at a lower force than you'll damage by pulling.

To illustrate my point, look at pickup trucks where the hitch has been overloaded - you'll notice they're bent forward. This happens when braking. Braking is essentially pushing on the load to slow it.

I've done some pushing with a 1ton pickup. 16,000lbs caused some serious problems, even though I've pulled 30k+ without any problems.

Granted, I've done exactly zero pushing with a hmmwv. The reason is that it is so obviously a bad idea....

If I had to move something heavy with a hmmwv, I'd want to pull it. I'd want heavy chains connected at a low point on the load so that the load would increase traction to the tow vehicle while at the same time applying a lifting vector to the pulled load. I'd want a surface that provided only limited sliding friction. Sand or gravel lightly scattered on a smooth concrete surface goes a long way towards making it easier to slide.
No offense taken. In your trailer example, that doesn't mean the truck can't physically push more than it can pull. It means the hitch was a weak point and bent.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need that A hole owl from the tootsie pop commercial to answer this question. Also the more you drink the more it will push... I think

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think pulling with a chain or tow line allows for a slight stretch/snatch start where's pushing you are right up against what you want to move. Moving heavy load the truck may squat a bit. You may damage your front up against what you are pushing when the truck squats a bit under load. Something like a police push bumper might help with that. Unless you are in a position where you need to push instead of pull, I would choose pull over push. But it's your truck. Try and see what happens. And if you break it then you just have to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks