• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much did you pay for your M998/humvee?

Shmity1

I see auctions starting at 5k for running Humvee's. How much are they going for? I also see Craigslist add's for over $15k. Are the craigslisters making bank on these things?

Thanks

Shmity

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think to many people are going to post what they paid . Plus keep in mind even "running" you will stick probably as much as you paid or more to get it safely operational. Also are you willing to wait 3 months to a year with your money tied up waiting for the EUC to clear before you get possession of your auction win ?
With a craigslist buy you can test drive and take it with you. People are not going to invest their time and money into one and not make some profit for their effort unless it is a money they got in over their head on.And don't forget transportation cost to get it hauled home from the auction your not going to pull up to the GP site and drive it home. Also these GP HMMWV"s are "OFF ROAD ONLY" .

here is some reading for you;

[h=1]HMMWV Titling[/h]
[h=1]Insurance[/h][h=1]Humvee latest auction prices ?[/h]
[h=1]EUCs from recent GovPlanet Auctions[/h]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$2000-35000

NormB

YUGE regional market differences as well.

Before buying locally I spent months on this site and others including the evil auction sites and craigslist and GP looking into prices (I even called a dozen or so sellers before and after they sold) and I found sales after government sales easily doubled the money spent for the truck from gov't auctions. Talking to a local seller and seeing what went into his refurbishing these machines to make them roadworthy, I got the sense it isn't all gravy/profit.

From VA-MD-PA I got the sense that road titled machines in reasonably good condition (new tops, 60% plus tires, lube order done, electrics "gone over") were selling from $16 to $22k.

"New" HMMWVs - later models, 6.5L NA and TDs - with VERY low mileage (like 50 miles before being parked) could - and do - bring in upwards of $30k.

YMMV.

jeffy777

I see auctions starting at 5k for running Humvee's. How much are they going for? I also see Craigslist add's for over $15k. Are the craigslisters making bank on these things?

Thanks

Shmity
I paid 8k+1K in fees and 1k in minor fixes and other stuff for mine. So far it has needed little . But I probably have another 8K in repairs in the near future and that is low because I do stuff myself.

Some people are "making bank" selling crap to unsuspecting fools. You are generally getting a good deal (I should say an even deal) with GP. You can get a HMMWV faster via CraigsList, but they do not offer much of an inspection, and a much higher price for often little effort and their effort may have added several thousand where they may have messed up something. CraigsList offers little here, (less value and no basic inspection). Having said that there are those who have and do great work selling HMMWV on CraigsList. I don't know but some of the SS Vendors may put stuff on CraigsList and I have yet to read a post from them that I do not value. Be careful!

Bdhminnesota

I paid $6,700 plus fees for a tan troop carrier in June 16'. Was in excellent condition with nothing broken.

Paid $8,700 plus fees for 4 door camo in Oct 16'. Needed headlight, doors, top, runs good.

I feel I got lucky.

DanM7890

I paid 8k+1K in fees and 1k in minor fixes and other stuff for mine. So far it has needed little . But I probably have another 8K in repairs in the near future and that is low because I do stuff myself.

Some people are "making bank" selling crap to unsuspecting fools. You are generally getting a good deal (I should say an even deal) with GP. You can get a HMMWV faster via CraigsList, but they do not offer much of an inspection, and a much higher price for often little effort and their effort may have added several thousand where they may have messed up something. CraigsList offers little here, (less value and no basic inspection). Having said that there are those who have and do great work selling HMMWV on CraigsList. I don't know but some of the SS Vendors may put stuff on CraigsList and I have yet to read a post from them that I do not value. Be careful!
I'll have to beg to differ on this. CL is the way to go if you want something quick, but you'll pay for it. The nice thing about CL is you can inspect everything, drive it, make notes about things you like or dislike, and the possibility they have it titled. Like I said you pay for this luxury and the fact some people have their money and time tied up for almost a year. I have my HMMWV for sale and have had numerous people come look and lowball me and I can tell straight away they have no idea about the process and what I had to go through to get it. They always come back with the reasoning that they sell for 5k at auction. That's one way to end the show and tell and I just leave.

gsp45

GP sold prices are all listed on their web site. Pull down the SOLD tab, it tells you what every vehicle sold for.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks

Shmity
You can search GP and see all previous sales and what they sold for. Add roughly 20% for fees.

Edit - took this reply forever to load. Meanwhile the answer was provided by others. I'd delete it, but I cant...

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As of the present moment, I am into my HMMWV for about twice the auction "win" price. It is full mission capable, and I would drive her anywhere. She's an older 6.2L, and perhaps not as fast or capable as later models, but "not much" is still a heckuva lot more than I need or plan to attempt (here, hold my beer).

Should I sell it (on CL if I do) this coming Spring, I expect $15K would be the bottom of my possible prices (I am planning a few other mods and improvements) and I wouldn't make much if anything after bid price, auction fees, taxes, delivery and upgrades/repairs, and certainly not "bank".

Guys on CL who just hose it off, throw some paint at the corrosion, put some Spartan-related stickers on it and change fluids probably DO make 3-4 grand, but they are easy to spot (for me) and I won't buy a vehicle that hasn't had the hubs serviced and other HMMWV-only things that Joe 6-pack wouldn't know to do. If they use words like "rare" or "special" in the ad I close it immediately, these are opportunists.

Bulldogger

3000gt

$3500 for running 4 door no top, doors some blow by, 6.2, MM winch runs great unless cold outside (wont start) Paid too little lol
$9500 running 4 door with top, no doors, MM winch , 6.5 runs perfect. Paid too much trans went out after 1000 miles

Last edited:

ari

Paid 5500 it was overhauled in 2010 came with the following 6.5 gep mfg 2004 242 tc high back seats and a smart start box. It was a m10xx truck at some point. it has the supplemental "armor" it came with no top or doors

Videris

Dont buy from GP. Go buy one you can go see, drive and inspect. If you end up buying from GP stay away from Yermo hmmwv's. Most of them are junk. Buy from a private seller, thats your best shot at getting something decent. I would say a general range price for at least a somewhat fuctioning hmmwv to a real good runner would be 5k to 18k.

Wire Fox

I paid $5k for my A1 troop carrier, non-running, plus fees. It was local, so shipping was an easy $100 on a rollback-would've been a 45 minute job if I could get a working truck and a car trailer on the same day, but the stars weren't aligning. It has a 6.5L GEP and was configured with the older three speed; however, it was sold missing the trans, PCB/EESS/S3, starter, and the alternator was irreperably damaged. Surprise perks was that it came with a new-in-package AMG 242, prop. shafts to use with the 4L80E configuration, a shiny new muffler, an airlift spreader bar, and several antenna sections (plus lots of other little things-about half of which have found a use). It's jumping a bit over the budget I had planned for it, but it's right around my vague budget of "$10k-12k to make it do what I want"

jeffy777

I'll have to beg to differ on this. CL is the way to go if you want something quick, but you'll pay for it. The nice thing about CL is you can inspect everything, drive it, make notes about things you like or dislike, and the possibility they have it titled. Like I said you pay for this luxury and the fact some people have their money and time tied up for almost a year. I have my HMMWV for sale and have had numerous people come look and lowball me and I can tell straight away they have no idea about the process and what I had to go through to get it. They always come back with the reasoning that they sell for 5k at auction. That's one way to end the show and tell and I just leave.
There is probably no doubt that you are selling your HMMWV and you are not making misrepresentations. But there are those who will. And a lot of buyers do not even know what to look at. At lease they take a lot of pictures and make some effort not to misrepresent the vehicle.

DanM7890

Even if they don't buy, I tell them to come on this board, sign up and learn more about them. HMMWV's are not like normal automobiles. They need lots of preventative maintenance and care, and you need to understand how they operate.

Had the fan cut on while on a test drive and the guy freaked out and pulled over. Last time I have let someone drive it without any knowledge of it.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1038 with winch and controls 11K to start, add in GP fees, Shop time for leaking fuel injector pump, leaking transfer case, replacement seat for one of the rear seats, Offset antenna mounts, Radios, antennas, couple better doors, vic 1 system, new glow plugs twice, new box for glow plug system. I'm betting I have at least 16K-17K in it by now and lots more to go. Giant Malamute not included( another 5K, bloat when a pup).... Understanding wife. Priceless......

Attachments

Last edited:

Sintorion

Thanks

Shmity
Not sure what building a bank has to do with craigslisters, but if your question is if people are making money there is a difference between asking and getting. Someone asking for $15k is probably getting $13K if they are lucky. When you add in all the costs $13K is probably a break even point for most. An $8K auction win will cost you $9500 with auction fees and tax. Need it shipped? That will add another $500-1,000. So before you even get to see what you bought you are $10K into it.

Then to make it marketable you will have to title and register it if your state allows. Toss another $500 into it. These are not perfect so you will likely have to put another $1000 or so replacing lights, seats, etc. to get it drivable.

When all is said an done you are going to be into an $8K purchase for easily $13K or more. So you ask $15k and you will get blasted with offers of $8k because someone sees the auction prices and has no concept of TCO. Not to mention there are not a lot of people with $15K cash laying around because very few banks are going to lend money on something like this.

So no, there are no banks being made from the purchase of a hmmwv.

3000gt

Dont buy from GP. Go buy one you can go see, drive and inspect. If you end up buying from GP stay away from Yermo hmmwv's. Most of them are junk. Buy from a private seller, thats your best shot at getting something decent. I would say a general range price for at least a somewhat fuctioning hmmwv to a real good runner would be 5k to 18k.
I got lucky with mine from Yermo...lol your right most of them are junk. however the best deals seem to come out of that place.