• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much does this weigh?

chevycrew

My rough guess would be 1000lbs per axle, plus 1000lbs for tires/wheels, and a 1000lbs for the frame.
So..............5000lbs?

Rolling chassis

No engine, trans, or t-case, stripped cab, 6 tires.

Im trying to figure what trailer to take, without being extreme overkill.

Heres the pics.

Attachments

chevycrew

The TM also shows front track width at 67.75" to the center of the front tires, so Im guessing here too (since I sold my last truck) that the overall front width to the outside of the tires is about 78"?

And another question, which end of this truck will be heavier, front or rear?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing about 6300#. I came up with that using the subtraction technique. Bed is 2000, engine 1800, tranny 150, transfer 600, tires 170 each. That tandem rear suspension is a heavy SOB so if you're calculating what you have add for that.

poppop

I think 5000 would be the max with it stripped like that, probably less. I believe it is pretty much ballanced and maybe a little heavier on the rear.

chevycrew

I was thinking I might be light on a figure as well. After I posted, I was looking at the photos and realized I forgot the suspension (front and rear).

Might be close, Im thinking 16' car trailer, loaded backwards.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know that is only 15 feet but I was thinking of getting good tie down angles on it and what might overhang as well. I guess it all depends on local legal issues and how far you are taking it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your safe, at 5000#. You can get it on a 16' trailer. Your allowed 4' overhang, no questions asked. I'd load it backwards. If you have ramps, you can load it with a "come-along".

Lee in Alaska

papercu

trailer

You may get it on but what about tongue weight? You won't have a lot of room to balance it. I can fit a Suburban on my 16 foot but it is hard to level. A military blazer with the wide tires will be a tight fit on the width. Unless you are just going down the street I would go with a larger trailer. Wayne

ASTFU

Spend the money and have it moved with a roll back its not worth taking a chance. had my m35a2 moved 135 miles for around 300.00 and it was someone elses responsibility.Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevycrew, glad to see someone else referring to the TACOM data sheets. What are the plans for the frame? If you are chopping it up you can saw off the back half just after the tandem assy with a sawzall to help a bit. I hauled a 5500# M715 from Evansville IN to Cinci OH then to S FLa with my car trailer that has 3500# axles. My only problem was the old tires kept blowing. By the time I got home it had all new tires! What are you going to pull with and does the trailer have brakes? Another thought, once on the trailer you could remove the 4 back tires and put them in the tow vehicle assuming it's a truck. That alone would move nearly 700# to a much better location.

rizzo

I hauled one and think it is heavier than you think. Kennys estimate is better. He is dealing with KNOW weights. I used a 19ft deckover with a beaver tail. pulled fine once we got the tounge weight adjusted right

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
not that much missing really. kennys estimate is close, but start with 14,000 and subtract. bed 2000 engine 1400 trans is 220 by the way. looks like most of the rest is there so easily 8,000 that frame is heavier than you think. i moved just frame and 3 axles on a std rollback and it was way overloaded.

chevycrew

About 500 miles, behind a ford superduty diesel, with trailer brakes.

I just drug the 2 m105's home with the same setup, and it towed great, came in at 16.5k that trip.

so even at 2 or 3k more it shouldnt be a big deal. I like the idea of moving tires around to adjust the tongue weight.

Ill add in some tools for tire removal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have the right truck and trailer. Your biggest concern will probably getting tongue weight correct and with so much moveable weight, shouldn't be a problem.

chevycrew

Decided not to tax the axles in the trailer.

We do repair work, for a rental outfit, and they cut me a good deal on this gem.

http://www.bigtowtrailers.com/pdf/1505_(B-5T,6T,7T,8T).pdf

Its the 6-BT, 12,000lb rated, 18' deck with 4' fixed and 14' of tilt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks