• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much fluid goes in a tranny?

electraman

Ok, so I went down to NAPA and picked up 5 quarts of oil for my Spicer 3053A tranny. I see on the sie of the tranny is the oil fill on the drivers side. Why doesn't it look like it will take a gallon of fluid. This tranny looks like it take a ton of oil. Am i filiing this in the area?

Thanks

FormerNewMVGuy

Well ,if my memory serve's me correctly, it takes a little over 4 QT's , I by gear lube in 5 gallon pails and use a bucket pump to put the lube in! Its by far the easiest way to do it...I guess with quart bottles you could use a suction gun.

The amount of gear lube a deuce takes (axles ,transfercase and tranny) its more ecomomical to by 5 gallon pails, and i got my bucket pump from northern tool for about 40 bucks.

hoop

OK....It's not under the trap door.
But, you do have to remove and replace the drivers side door, and the left front turn signal. Then stand on your left 4th finger and look at a full moon.
Wait.....what were talking about?

Heavysteven

Crawl under the truck ID the transmission. There is a fill hole and a drain hole. I use a 1/2 non racheting breaker bar to remove the plugs. Drain all the fuild out, then refill to 1/2" below the fill hole.

I agree best option is 5 gallon pail with hand pump.

Also, clean the spring vent on top on the transmission while your having fun.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on my duece the oil check/fill takes a 9/16 allen wrench.. and it dont take all the much.. but if you run it low its not happy and will let you know fast.. keep it checked all the time.. i got my pump that fits on the 5gal bucket at napa for 38 or so