• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much for an m105

gt1009

I found an M105, some rust in places but all turn signals and brakes work. Also a full set of tarps and bows. The guy is asking 675 for it, about how much is it worth. Also, would towing it behind the m1009 present me with a problem outside fo the 24 volt lights?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen really nice ones bring $300 - $400, maybe up to $500 with the bows and cover. Also, I think the trailer may be a bit too much for your M1009. The M101 3/4-ton trailer is perfect, but the 1.5-ton M105 series will be too much.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have some VERY SERIOUS muscles (and feel like getting a hernia), you wont be able to drop the 105's landing leg and set it down on the pintle of the CUCV...

Armada

And with a 1009's 308 gearing, you'll overheat the poor 6.2L when you start lugging the engine on a grade. Not to mention holding the set-up under control going down a grade or any sudden stop. M105's are seriously HEAVY, even empty!

Sarge

Guys, I hate to be a spoilsport, but I think that the -10 states that an M416 is the largest (only) trailer suitable for the M1009. Although the military does not approve of the M1009 towing an M101, as long as you take it easy with the load and stay out of the mountains, the 1009 will most likely be okay.
Greg, I guarantee that if you tow a M105 any distance (even empty) your M1009 will not be long for this world.
Again, I'm not saying that you CANNOT tow a M105 or a M101 behind your M1009. I'm just saying that the -10 says no, don't do it. In an emergency braking situation, that M105 is going to push that little M1009 way on down the road.
The M101 is normally towed behind the beefier one and a quarter ton trucks, like the M1008 or the Humvee.
The M105 is usually towed behind the two and a half ton (and larger) trucks. Newer M105's have air (over hydraulic) brake hookups activated from the tow vehicle.
I sometimes tow a M101 with my M1009, but only empty and for short distances.

Dieselsmoke

I've seen folks pulling the M105 behind a M1009...not a pretty sight and I gave them plenty of room around me!!!!! M101, not so bad as it sits pretty level, but still a bit heavy for the 1009, especially loaded.

gt1009

wow thanks for the response. In that case if anyone wants some pictures or more info on it just pm me and I will look into it for you

tklm539

No wonder I was doing a wheelie along the entire Mass pike.

Not to hijack, but it is one of the hardest trailers I have ever had to backup. (behind deuce) One twitch and its off to the side.

Tom

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just towed an M105 with an M1028 and it towed perfectly. Since the M1028 sits higher than an M1009, the trailer was actually fairly level. I figured it would have squated down more in front than it did.

KaiserM109

What do you guys think? Maybe I should flip the lunette over.

On the serious side, I towed 2 of these on consecutive days from Ft. Carson to Denver, 95 mi., and it handled badly. It wasn't dangerous, but the trailer waggled the Bronco's tail for it. It has a lot to do with light duty tires on the Bronco with soft sidewalls and the fact that the empty trailer weighs almost as much as the Bronco.

I am planning to put a lighter axle with an 8 bolt pattern under one of 3 M105s I bought and pull it behind my Jeep J20, the civilian version of the M715. We will lighten it up by taking off the tongue wheel.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks