• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much general maintenance required for 923?

Deucejunkie

I'm VERY serious about my upcoming purchase, but before I pull the $15,000 trigger I need to know how much general/monthly or yearly maintenance $$$ is required for a 923? There is a company in California that refurbishes these trucks and just about everything is rebuilt or new on the truck when purchased. I'm not very mechanically gifted so I wont being doing much other than fluid changes and such. The truck will be stored inside, driven in parades and very little offroad... basically babied and appreciated. So will I have a indestructible truck that lasts forever or will it costs $$ just to keep it road worthy? THANKS for any advice.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beware of some of the CA companies. Some of them just squirt a fresh coat of paint and call it refurbished. I have seen it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any truck will require maintenance. How much depends on the truck. Some received great service in the military and others where used and abused.

steelandcanvas

Best advice would be to download the Technical Manuals on your anticipated vehicle. Study them and pay particular attention to the maintenance intervals and services. Armed with this, get your calculator out, do the math, and you can come up with a fairly accurate figure for operational costs.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is always something to do on them. Front boots, seals, oil changes, tires, etc. But it is all fun...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They do like to be used. It's an 80s American truck not a Toyota. Unless you buy one from someone who maintained it and used it regularly you will have to work out the kinks.
Will

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with the "better to use it vs. stored in the garage and not driven much" to keep all the fluids moving from time to time, etc.

I have a (pickup) truck with over 225,000 miles that I use every day and have not had any issues save batteries every 5-6 years and a fuel pump because I had a habit of running it empty (i.e., bad user). My Dad bought a truck and it lived in the garage and was babied, he started having issues and sold it at ~60,000 miles. These were the same model and year trucks that we bought within a week of each other. I have lots of stories of garage queens not lasting long. I do have one story of a 3/4 ton truck that was parked for months, abused, and then parked again that lasted a long time, so more of a trend then a rule :).

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15,000 dollars for a 923???? Are you on drugs? Does the truck come with some gold bullion in the BII? I have a M923 with legs for only 10K shipped!(sarcasm but seriously if you want to pay 15K!) Sad to see people falling for the crazy inflated prices. That's two now recently. Now if the DOD cancels sales forever, maybe that's a good price.

Last edited:

plumkrazy

One thing to remember is if not driven much, it is a good investment to get a quality battery charger that will charge, maintain, and float the batteries. Something like a Battery Tender. I got 4 shipped for $90.00 something. Use them on my 2 farm tractors, 923, and M1009. Any that old like a weekly drive to warm up the fluids and seals. Also tires get their workout. These vehicles are just like me, a little movement does everything good. Regards and have a safe FOURTH!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks